Psychological Effects of Color

by RedPillPopper 33 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks, Orphan. That's what I remember from 20 years ago, so, yeah, I could be mixing things up a bit.

I just remember being explicitly instructed to purchase yellow, cyan blue, and fuchsia paints for all of our painting. Whether they were called primary or not escapes me.

Now that I think about it, there was some discussion about the primary colors of light being different than the primary colors of pigment, but, again, that was 20 years ago.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

You're right Orphan, it was magenta, not fuchsia now that I think of it.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Actually, according to my college art class, it's not red that is the primary color, it's fuchsia.

I think you might have this mixed up a bit, Grreatteaher.

Fuschia - or magenta - does not exist within the visible light spectrum. Our brains make it up because our eyes don't respond to that particular wave of the electromagentic spectrum. Magenta sits outside of the nanometers that our eyes are attuned to. It is a combination of both ends of the visible light spectrum and those ends don't meet - our brain makes the loop.

Red is a 'primary' color.

You, or your instructor, may have 'primary' confused with 'purity' of color.

What are considered as the primary colors in the field of physics is actually different from what are considered as the primary colors in the field of art/decorating.

• LV101
    LV101

talesin - we all know our primaries from which every color is created - where people get confused is defining tertiary colors/values. Every artist explains tertiaries differently or doesn't really know. If I tell a class to throw a complementary of purple (pre-mixed) in their orange and cal it stymies them (I forget they aren't connecting dots yet).

We artists generally don't even think of color terms but just 'eye it' and mix away.

Happy painting!

• LV101
    LV101

ooops -- need more sleep - strike "and cal" (last line/first paragraph) meant to type to add a 'complementary' of purple (premixed - faster for them) in their orange it's confusing them since they only connect orange with blue at this point - I have to understand they're stuck on basics - some of them, anyway. Most don't know beyond primaries but they're just learning. Even older ones have to ask what colors to mix all the time.

• GonzoX
    GonzoX

Jehovah's Witnesses don't "feel" blue to me, they absolutely don't feel like a primary color. They feel more like brown to me.

Jehovah's Witnesses are definitely brown. They are full of Shit.

• prologos
    prologos

Grey the colour of the Confederate, southern army, In WW1 the french coloured their soldiers blue, so they would blend in with the sky backgroung when going 'over the top',-- the bosch looking up at them.

I love the pure rainbow colours that a prisms in my east windows project on the floor, wall, ceiling, vibrant energy effect of the real photons of whole visible. spectrum, and the warm feeling of the infra-red beyond added in the cool of the morning.

paint is not energy, to the contrary, it deducts, absorbs.

Psychological Effect of color (the race) ? look at an albino African! the surface solution to racism.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Now that I think about it, there was some discussion about the primary colors of light being different than the primary colors of pigment, but, again, that was 20 years ago.

The difference is additive vs subtractive colors for emissive vs reflective sources of light respectively.

For emission sources such as stars, lamps and projectors, the primaries are RGB or red, green, blue.

For reflected light such as in print and paint, the primaries are CMYK or cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

Then you get into color space to describe the mix...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_color

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_space

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Here's another good article on the difference of additive vs. subtractive colors:

DID YOU KNOW...
    Approximately seven million different colors can be perceived by the human eye?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Thanks for these resources!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit