Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I don't understand any protest on behalf of Michael Brown. He is NOT and was NOT a role model. His actions were not rightful in any way, shape, or form; at the time of the incident or moments leading up to it. Society cannot and should not pin hopes on one or two actors, until the facts are fully known. Now, should there be peaceful protests for other victims? Yes. But, Michael Brown is not a hero in my book.

Should the community come together to fight poverty, lack of chances, and upbuilding education, jobs, and family? Absolutely. Get to the root of the problem. Ignore the problem by transferring anger to a wrong role model is not going to solve any issue. Oh, it will let off steam for a few days, and then it will all return to the status quo. The powerful on both sides will continue in power, and the masses will continue in their ignorance and as objects of exploitation. And, there will be a next Michael Brown. Just like there was a Michael McDuffie, for whom the crowds were more justified in rioting.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree with Mary's post - it's a terrible loss for Michael Brown's family and they deserve sympathy but if MB had shown proper respect for the law and obeyed the officer then none of this would have happened.

• designs
    designs

What has caught the attention of millions of peaceful protesters is not the imperfect conduct of Michael Brown but the imperfect conduct of Officer Wilson. There are 20 ways from Sunday a trained professional should have handled this case differently from the beginning. If it were not a repeated scene hundreds of times per year, year after year decade after decade maybe only the parents of Michael would be speaking out, but that's not America in 2014 and everyone knows it.

FYI- A Texas School Board just endorsed listing Moses as a founding influence on the writers of our Constitution (correct answer for $200.00 Alex- it was Rome).

Our problems are cradle to grave in this country and addressing the inter-relatedness of these problems are gargantuan.....but not insurmountable..

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

designs

i'm so glad there are thousands of peaceful protestors. when people have protested over perceived parodies of justice, particularly the black community, they have brought freedoms for all of us.

As to Michael Brown - he is more of an antihero - a teenager full of angst with a still childish not yet adult face meeting a cop too ready to pull out his gun and then imagining that he saw his victim reaching for a concealed weapon. gimme a break. I'm afraid being charged at does not exonerate Wilson either. I don't believe Wilson's story. edit: in the interests of skepticism i hope i am allowed to share my views.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Again we keep hearing the same complaint / accusations being made: "this is an example of how black lives are not valued"

I agree Simon. Only education will solve that bit of utter ignorance. Men and women convinced of that are about as educated as men and women swayed by neo-Nazism.

Persons who value black lives as less because of skin color are ignorant fools, and often are the offspring of ignorant fools. Ignorant fools do not tend to be swayed by criminal protests but, rather, tend to find confirmation by such behavior.

Educated persons do not hold black lives as less valuable.

So what do we have? Ignorant folks acting in a way that convinces other ignorant folks that their foolish thinking is valid.

When ethnic disparity exists history shows an efficient method of raising the disparaged to parity is for the disparaged community to raise itself up rather than that disparaged group looking for someone else to raise them up.

Who in the black community owns this method by working tirelessly to help their community raise itself up? What black community leadership focuses on addressing and correcting bad behavior within its own ranks first and foremost?

To non-violent and civil protestors out there, regardless of national origin, race, religion, gender, age or anything else, I say “Good for you!!! How can assist you?”

To thugs and so-called “leaders” who fail to prioritize addressing and correcting bad behavior within their own ranks first and foremost I say, “Shame on you!!! You carry a boatload of guilt!!! If and when you decide to start helping your community raise itself up then start with candid talk to your own, and put your OWN MONEY where your mouth is.”

• Simon
    Simon

I think this notion that people travelled across the country to be able to loot and rob is a convenient myth to pass off blame. No one spends that time and money on order to get a handful of crap from a convenience store. It was locals, the people who tried to stop them said it made no sense to do it to their own community. More idiots.

Until we have leaders and representatives who can be honest and not keep spouting off lie after lie on TV then nothing will change. Just listening to Mark O'Mara talking objectively about the evidence vs Sonny whatshername trying to twist things because she is desperate to show the verdict is wrong because she is the same color as MB. That's all we ever seem to see or hear - people with obvious bias and an inability to be honest and objective.

MB was an idiot who didn't respect others ... he happened to be black. He's no hero. He's no victim.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

"We need to work together to fix the system that allowed this to happen."—The Brown family, http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/25/justice/ferguson-grand-jury-decision/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Now just think about that piece of sage advice.

What system “allowed” Michael Brown to feel it was right to steal from a retail store?

What system “allowed” Michael Brown to feel is was right to threaten violence on a defenseless storekeeper?

Fixing a system starts inside a family unit at the moment a new member is born into that family.

After that fixing a system moves to the immediate community that family identifies itself with and is embraced by.

My questions are:

1. What is the Brown family changing to correct the system it allowed to let Michael Brown grow up thinking it okay to steal and threaten violence on innocent folk?

2. What is the immediate community the Brown family identifies itself with and is embraced by changing to correct the system it allowed to let Michael Brown grow up thinking it okay to steal and threaten violence on innocent folk?

Until these base units of social structure act to correct whatever “system” each exerts I contend it will be a nearly fruitless effort for further downstream social structures to correct things for them.

My recommendations:

1. The Brown family should act upon its own advice by correcting whatever it did that “allowed” Michael Brown to act as he did.

2. Whatever immediate community embraced the Brown family and which the Brown family identified with should likewise act upon the Brown family’s advice by correcting whatever it did that “allowed” Michael Brown to act as he did.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I think this notion that people travelled across the country to be able to loot and rob is a convenient myth to pass off blame. No one spends that time and money on order to get a handful of crap from a convenience store. It was locals, the people who tried to stop them said it made no sense to do it to their own community. More idiots.

I agree, Simon.

Folks are as they were raised to be.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Who raised Michael Brown?

The same village that finds itself being destroyed by its own members.

This is where Michael Brown was led to think it okay to steal.

This is where Michael Brown was led to think it okay to threaten violence on an innocent storekeeper.

It is no surprise that members of the village that raised Michael Brown are looting and pillaging their own neighborhood. No surprise at all. They are acting just like they raised Michael Brown to act.

• jws
    jws

IDK about all this. I tried reading up on it and it seems the witness accounts all vary. Was Brown charging Wilson or stumbling injured towards him? Did he have his arms up or not? Just like the Bible, you can't have 2 opposing statements and call them both the truth. Whichever way it happened, some people obviously saw what they wanted to see or just plain lied.

Brown certainly wasn't innocent that night either. He had already been involved in a robbery.

But the main question to me would be whether deadly force was necessary. Brown was big and tall and probably intimidating. But if he was shot for that alone, not for actions, then it's an injustice.

I look at that photo of Wilson above. He was supposed to have been punched in the face by a pretty big guy. I don't see a black eye, swelling, etc. Getting punched isn't like you see in the movies where there's a fist fight and after it's over, nobody bears any marks. Or it wasn't a serious punch.

Which leads to a question of what was the truth? The testimony I've seen isn't very clear on what happened at the car. One said that Wilson reached out of the car and had Brown by the neck pulling him towards him. I find that hard to believe. How's this cop with only the leverage of one arm going to do that to a 292 pound 6-4 guy?

But, if Brown didn't punch Wilson, then Wilson is lying. Then what else is he lying about?

The evidence confirms a lot, but I'm not sure anybody is telling the complete truth. And if Wilson's life was not in danger outside of the car, then it was an injustice. Doesn't matter if there was an altracation at the car. Doesn't matter if Brown was a thief. If Wilson was not in danger when he killed Brown, it was an injustice. If Brown was charging him, completely different story. And I'm afraid with the varying witness testimonies, this one will never be settled in the minds of those that want to see it differently.

• Simon
    Simon

Easier to blame 'the system', to blame 'outside looters', to blame 'the police officer', to blame 'lack of investment in black communities'... anything but take some responsibility.

This whole mess was caused by a black man and the rioting and looting is being done by black people.

Still we have black leaders blaming a 'lack of justice' for the problem. Do they even know what the word means?

Now they blame lack of jobs? Hey, here's an idea - don't burn down local businesses!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit