TYRED OF SPELING ERURS? SIK OF BAD GRAMMUR?

by Terry 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I notice many Topic Headings seem like they were composed on the fly in a tornado.

The text often reflects a grade school attention to basic writing skills.

I've been browsing through available APPS which can help with this for ALL OF US.

See what you think of GRAMMARLY.

http://online-grammar-check-review.toptenreviews.com/grammarly-review.html

If this topic pisses you off because you think I'm on my high-horse--maybe YOU are just the person who most needs it :)

Seriously though, isn't it worth a teeny bit of effort to represent the so-called APOSTATE community with the best

possible expression?

I know JW's aren't allowed to engage in book larnin' but Apostates are free to be correct.

I'm using Grammarly right now. When I deliberately typed the word "larnin'" I got a small box floating above my text

which said: HOVER OVER UNDERLINED TEST TO SEE CORRECTION OPTIONS.

I did it on purpose to test the program. IT WORKS!

I'm just trying to be helpful to myself, to you and to our public face.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled lives:)

• Raton
    Raton

No, I m uzed 2 it frum reeding mi one riting al da tim.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Amen to that! There are so many typos on this board as well as others, but when has it become acceptable to spell definitely with an a?

Also the word baptize is usually spelled here "babtize" and the word masturbation is usually spelled here "masterbation".

My favorite one from this board is that someone kept spelling the word daughter as dawter.

• sir82
    sir82

That's rediculous!

• talesin
    talesin

sir82 and ShirleyW, you got the two spelling errors *definately and rediculous* that used to make me back away from the keyboard, grip my hands together and say "la la la, it doesn't bother me" ... ahahaha!

Now, I just gloss over it and carry on. For about 10 years, I worked for consulting firms, editing reports for grammatical and technical errors. Many people don't know how to spell, even those with a PhD. It's a fact. But hey, I'm not the grammar police. *shrugs*

What does bug me are people who say "nucular" instead of "nuclear". And even more,"proNOUNciation" instead of "proNUNciation" ,,, a mistake the 'Brother' invariably made when counselling me on my talks at the KMS. :P

t

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

annointed vs anointed :)

It's not an-nointed

It is a-nointed

• Terry
    Terry

The internet generation (yes, I'm indulging in the blame game) has sacrificed a great deal for brevity of form.

It's perfectly okay to break rules IF YOU KNOW THE RULES YOU'RE BREAKING.

__

I'm constantly experimenting with the way I compose words on a page.

The esthetic (or aesthetic) of words on a background has always struck me as an opportunity

for organizing and displaying thoughts with an artist's eye.

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary.

For those who don't, no explanation is possible :)

_______

In my recent Sci-Fi novel (THE MONRAILS of MARS) I experimented with very brief chapters

and compact paragraphs. Why?

I think when your eye falls on a page, it should be inviting with bite-sized information.

Jumbo paragraphs and dense words (like clowns in a Volkswagon) repel my eye.

____

If I see a Topic Header on JW-Net and the spelling is mangled--I confess--I automatically

judge the person's level of awareness. I should not use such knee-jerk pedantry, I know.

It's just this; I've really tried to pay attention to words and their proper use my entire life.

Not to be boorish, but there is great beauty in the meticulous crafting of language.

Not all posts require this, certainly; perhaps the majority do not--but important topics suffer

from sloppy wording, oblivious punctuation, and clueless spelling.

___

If I sound judgmental, I apologize. Please take these words with loving tenderness implied. I don't like

anybody demanding I measure up to their arbitrary standard any more than you do.

I'm saying the technology of apps such as GRAMMARLY take the sting out of being perspicacious.

Nuff said.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

You will have to make provision for slight spelling differences between American posters and British posters Terry, as we tend to use the 'correct' spelling of 's' instead of 'z' in a lot of words, such as the previously mentioned baptise ;)

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Thanks, Terry!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I agree that it looks as if some posters are not even trying. As a language lover, it's too painful for me to read some people's posts here. Sometimes it's not spelling that's the issue, but a lack of paragraphs, or rampant Capitalization of random Words for No Reason. I just skate right on by those posts.

Lately I am also noticing people getting waylaid by their autocorrect feature, which is apparently making wrong guesses when fixing their typos. Please, just read your post over before hitting Submit?

lurkernomore: The problem pointed out earlier was writing "babtize" with two 'b's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit