TYRED OF SPELING ERURS? SIK OF BAD GRAMMUR?

by Terry 53 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

We all make spelling and grammar errors from time to time. Many are in the form of typos that we miss. Others are simply because we don't know how to spell certain words--whether it is a "e" or a "a", for instance. Still others are intentional, intended to bash or make fun out of an organization (the jokehovian witlesses) or god (joke-hova).

It isn't these types of errors that bother me. It is when people continually use shorthand spelling shortcuts, often making it difficult to read the post. This may be because you are texting from a mobile device and are paying by the character or that it takes so long to type each character that each one needs to count. If you are typing on a keyboard, it is not necessary to do this--especially if you are on a device where you are being charged a flat rate. I know it takes a little longer to type "to you" than "2 U". But, it is things like that that degrade posts and make people appear less intelligent than they are.

That said, I am also in favor of giving breaks for those who are not fluent in English. True, this forum dictates posting only in English. But, if people speak French, Italian, Russian, Spanish (a common one), German, or Chinese, their English is going to be weak. They are going to make grammar errors that would be correct in their native language. I would rather see them attempt to post in English and get it wrong than having them posting, say, in Spanish (or not at all). Especially those living where English is not their native language--it is asking a bit much for someone living in Mexico to learn proper English while they are in Spanish-speaking Mexico.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Yes, it annoys me. My own spelling and grammar mistakes annoy me even more.

• Caedes
    Caedes

The mistake that annoys me most is when I put in a double space at the end of a sentence. It is due to the fact that my phone auto-corrects this to a full stop, a space and then capitalises the next word. Familiarity and laziness are not a good combination.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I like a bit of variety. I never read long posts. There are times when I write when I feel I need to write well. Like occasionally I wear a suit.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

What WTWizard said is exactly what I meant. Thanks.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Unpossible!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"irregardless"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Cannon" instead of "canon" (when referring to official continuity).

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I can overlook a post that has an occasional spelling or puncuation error but it just frosts me when they are accompanied by a tone of selfsatisfication. (wink)

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Calling CoCo the grammar man

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit