"It's the intent that counts and not the result."

by donny 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Jeezus, I almost felt sorry for the guy.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

clutching at straws, pathetic, they cant get out of jail that easily, they are becoming so suspicious of any source non WT releated they are throwing the A bomb in now, well thats the feedback I get from them these days, they know full well where this vast amount of data chronicling their huge amount of failed prophecies comes from. "it may seem strange but thats how Jehovah works!" show me a time through out history where you have seen Jeehvah working in a similar way? nonsense, a false prophet is a false prophet simple, Duet 18,20-22.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I too have heard 'intent' thrown around and used as a justification by Jehovahs Witnesses for their foolishness. Perhaps they should educate themselves on exactly what the meaning of the word INTENT is in a legal sense.

http://thelawdictionary.org/intent/

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

This would make a good description of US Foreign Policy

• Splash
    Splash

I would have loved to have heard one more question:

"Since you have been wrong so many times before because 'this is the way Jehovah works', why should I believe you now?"

Splash

• Been_There_Done_That
    Been_There_Done_That

"The Road To Hell is Paved With Good Intention."...St Bernard of Clairvaux

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

What about the "intent" of the Catholic church? What about the "intent" of Budhist or Hindus or Muslims?

Good intentions are not an indicator of truth or worthieness to a cause or claim. Intentions are only as good as the information upon which they are based. And intentions based upon bad information can lead to disasterous effect.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

the Witnesses were trying to keep alert and stay on the watch versus being asleep at the wheel like the rest of the churches.

Punk of nice, I am still learning how to think critically. could you explain your post and how the hi lighted part is a logical fallacy....?

I'll try my hand at this - there's two problems with this statement. The first, to use a term often heard in the TV lawyer dramas, is that it assumes facts not in evidence. In other words, what evidence is there that the rest of the churches where asleep at the wheel, while the JWs where not? Sure, the JWs where proclaiming the end is nigh, and where thus very alert to the potential comming of the end, but the other churches where in it for the long-haul and turned out to be correct that the end was not so near. Which one was asleep at the wheel?

Additionally, because of the stance JWs take on holidays such as christmas and easter, this falls into the category of special pleading fallacy. The argument for the early JWs is that their intent was to serve god faithfully and zealously and that excuses them from having prophesied falsly (i.e. intent is more important than the truth of the matter). If you then ask why christians are to be condemned for celebrating christmas - an act that they do with the intent of serving god faithfully and zealously, they say because the holiday's origins are pagan and the date isn't even Jesus' birthday. (i.e. the truth of the matter is more important than the intent)

This is a special pleading fallacy because there is a distinction made (in one case it is the intent that matters, in the other case it is the truth that matters) but there is no attempt made to justify why this distinction exists.

• troucul
    troucul

Not to nitpick, but did they not explicitly say in the 1969 Awake that 1975 was the year?

Checking back through the posts, insearchoftruth found the text from Awake 1969, May 22, p. 15, and Atlantis posted the pdf file in that same thread from 2008. I could not open it due to the security settings on my computer at work.

• pronomono
    pronomono

Donny,

You don't happen to have the reference for...

"He even went as far as to say 1925 had more scriptural support than 1914 and that the Christian of today (1920's) had more assurance that 1925 was true than Noah has belief in the coming deluge."

I'd like to have this for my own little library. I can find the print copy if only I know what artictle, page, etc to look for.

Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit