"It's the intent that counts and not the result."

by donny 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Good job, they only have to lookup or come across *one* thing that confirms what you said and they will realise you were telling the truth and the WTS was lying.

But the odds are that they will never look. And even moreso that they will never "see".

Doc

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hey BOTR since you're probably still reading all the comments here, that's the way to do it.

Next time you're in the special waiting room for those who prepaid for their tickets at the Newark train station. If you see the SIster again, print out Donny's post here and learn.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

In Don Cameron's book Captives to a Concept he points to a section in the Proclaimers book that talks about why Jesus selected the little group of anointed followers back in 1919.

The Proclaimers books admits that other religions were doing the same as Russell in leaving the Church doctrines behind etc and some were even more highly motivated that the then JW's but the point Don Cameron makes in his book is the society says in the Proclaimers book that INTENT or MOTIVATION doesn't count...it's accurate knowledge that is more important and it is that what Jesus took into consideration when selecting the dubs in 1919.

So the JW on this stand is wrong, the societies view is INTENT counts as diddly squat, it is accurate knowledge that is important.

And hey-ho that is where donny wins this conversation.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

the Witnesses were trying to keep alert and stay on the watch versus being asleep at the wheel like the rest of the churches.

..and there it is in all it's startling glory. This is the spin and propaganda that the WBT$ uses to weasel out of being a false prophet.

I wonder what the correct term for this logical fallacy is?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Intent does matter--exactly.

Me: Think about what you just said. It is better to put forth bad data to keep folks excited than it is to wait for clear and concise instructions.

JW: I know it sounds weird but that is the way Jehovah works?

Was he asking or telling?

That may be the first time I've ever heard a jw state jehovah does that on purpose.

Somebody needs to practice his sales pitches from the Reasoning book.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Punk of nice, I am still learning how to think critically. could you explain your post and how the hi lighted part is a logical fallacy....?

• carla
    carla

Excellent! hope it makes him think.

• donny
    donny

I was flabbergasted when he stated that the result was inconsequential because it was the intent that mattered. It just highlights the lengths people will go to to support something that has no foundation of its own.

I wonder if he felt the same about doctors. "I am sorry sir, I removed your leg in error because I did not read the directive correctly, but my intentions were to set the bone."

I was also shocked that he took so long to as if I was an apostate.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

MW - Punk of nice, I am still learning how to think critically. could you explain your post and how the hi lighted part is a logical fallacy....?

Same here...still learning me ol' duck.

Well, rather than say 'yes. we were wrong.' they prefer to circumvent it and say 'we are at least awake to the signs.' This way they give the impression that they have done good rather than wrong.

I think htere is a logical fallacy/propaganda technique involved here but I am not sure which...hence the question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Could it be one of these????

• Inconsistent comparison – where different methods of comparison are used, leaving one with a false impression of the whole comparison.
  • SaritaJ
    SaritaJ

Very interesting. The brother's response reminds me of Hayden Covington's testimony at the Douglas Walsh trial where he said that they believed and were sure that God was using the WTS org, and the governing body to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time. The mistakes he admitted under oath were false prophecy- erroneous , mistaken and false statements.

Nothing has changed since then. JWs continue to use the same reasoning to justify preaching false prophecy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit