It is official they're selling off Kingdom Halls in Britain

by raymond frantz 102 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• dozy
    dozy

The previous posted nailed it. The WTBTS used to have a financial model selling literature at a big profit with property development as something of a sideline. Now that the literature is given away free they have to really ramp up their real estate arm. I just wonder how much longer they can push the envelope with this one - a few JWs I know who are very much Society loyalists are getting increasingly concerned about the constant demands for money. One congregation I knew which had carefully saved money for years to re-model their own hall almost had a mutiny when the WTBTS siphoned off the cash & then told them that they weren't able to do a refurbishment as there were other priorities "in the worldwide field".

Looking at the figures , the society clawed in 35 million GBP from Kingdom Halls & circuits in the 12 months to 31st Aug 2013 increasing their cash balances from 5 million to 40 million ( see note 20 in the accounts ).

It will be interesting what the accounts for 2014 will be as the cash grab only really began to be pushed in early / mid 2013.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends61/0001077961_AC_20130831_E_C.pdf

Personally I don't think this is anything to do with pedophile cases. Fundementally it is just a reaction to declining contributions coupled with a strong centralising attitude that is reflected right across the board - both from an organisation standpoint and the current "cult" of the Governing Body with their presence imposed constantly.

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

Dozy, are there any previous threads here about that financial report?

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

The Catholic Church is strongly centralised , I don't see any of their flock working free of charge or any of their churches being sold over and over again to turn profit. What we are currently witnessing is not centralisation but aggressive manipulation.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

These guys are arrogant assholes and will sell off everything before admitting guilt with regard for paedophile victims. I can see them selling assembly halls as well as all the other buildings they own. They spin it anyway they want and the rank and file will be none the wiser. To make up for the lost income they will just tell the idiot ones to donate more.

Then when all the dust settles in a decade or so they will reboot their real estate investment game. In fact they may not even care about religion and the ones holding on to their everyword by then. As has been discussed here this cult is loosing members and very little from the outside is coming in. The business model has run its course and the numbers of memebers don't even seem to be accurate anymore.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

At the rate they're going, the WTS will barely even exist in the developed world before too long.

They may as well have started building their new HQ in Africa, or something.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i wonder if the wts will try the sell and lease back method ?

sell the hall to a bank--pocket the dosh---then lease it back

the congregation would have to pay the rent --of course.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

i wonder if the wts will try the sell and lease back method ?

sell the hall to a bank--pocket the dosh---then lease it back

the congregation would have to pay the rent --of course.

My instinct is to say that would be to obvious a scam - but the r/f aren't exactly known for picking up on the obvious...

We should stop giving them ideas.

• Simon
    Simon

If the WTS owns the KH instead of the local congregation it prevents halls deciding to 'break away' which some have done in the past.

It could also be for legal reasons - would the local congregation still be registered as a charity or will there now be a single charity running them all?

• bigmac
    bigmac

We should stop giving them ideas.

why ? the more scammy tricks the wts pull---the more they are exposed for what they are

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

bigmac - "the more scammy tricks the wts pull---the more they are exposed for what they are"

Ditto.

They've made it pretty clear by now they're not gonna budge on any of the egregiously harmful aspects of WT policy, no matter what.

So I say give 'em all the rope they need to hang themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit