Science is right in its details, but wrong in its direction

by exWTslave 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So if we were to all become spiritual, would that make us happier? Maybe we would all get along as well as the Muslims and the Jews. Despite my atheism, I tend to agree that focus on things beyond materials would benefit mankind but that is not Science's job. Each person must make his own spiritual journey. I wish religion would stop interfering.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"Yet man day-by-day becomes more and more unhappy and discontented, and world is becoming bitter and bitter! It means: Though Science is right in its details, it has gone wrong in its direction. It failed to rightly judge and assess the true nature of its prime object (Man) for whom it works. Science saw man as matter, hence thought he would be happier and contented if he were given more and more MATERIAL comforts and luxuries!" - exWT

This is a very misleading and dishonest comment. Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.

Science is sometimes, for the convenience of people who want to see results, divided into applied science and research science. The first applies scientific discoveries to the development of new and improved technology, from cars to iPods. The second pursues scientific knowledge for its own sake with no particular practical goal in mind. The nice thing about this pure research is that it often ends up providing the raw material and knowledge for unexpected practical uses.

Science has noting to do with myths. Except debunking them.

-

"It failed to rightly judge and assess the true nature of its prime object (Man) for whom it works." - exWT

This is one of the stupidest lines I have read in my life. Are you giving science human characteristics?

Ismael

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Each person must make his own spiritual journey.....OTWO

...........................................Now thats Worth Quoting..

...........NO ONE(Religious or Not) should be Interfering with that Journey..

......................................................................................................................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• cofty
    cofty

NO ONE(Religious or Not) should be Interfering with that Process.. - Outlaw

Presenting evidence and reasoned arguments is a worthy venture. Scrutinising religious beliefs and superstions in the light of facts is something nobody should apologise for.

Bad ideas deserve to be exposed as such. Beliefs that require protection should be discarded.

Don't engage in a religious discussion forum unless you are willing to ruthlessly expose your beliefs to reality. All beliefs are not equal.

It can be a painful process. It is worth it.

• One Last Kiss
    One Last Kiss

You're confusing science with consumerism and culture, an entirely different subject.

Materialism as it relates to happiness levels has been studied by the social sciences in great depth, maybe check things out from that point of view...

• Heaven
    Heaven

As Carl Sagan once asked a group of people he was with "How many of us have had to take penicillin in our lives?" There was only 1 person in the group that had never had to. That says the majority of people have Science to thank for bettering their lives at least through penicillin.

I'm sure we can come up with many more.

Of course a lot of what the OP points out comes from someone who has never lived in ancient times. I'll take what Science and the rest of our modern disciplines has provided us over what they had in ancient times ANY day.

I have lived without modern conveniences. It's not an easy life.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Yet man day-by-day becomes more and more unhappy and discontented, and world is becoming bitter and bitter!

Says who? It sounds you are doing a bit of introspection there. There has never, ever, been a better time to be alive in this planet. It is an inevitable tendency of humans to claim that current times are the worst ever as they melancholically reminisce about past times.

Please tell me another time in human history so that we can compare with today.

Also you speak of science as if you are comparing with other options? Which options are those? Is there anything else in human history that has done anything significant to improve human lives?

The fact is that science is all we have. Nothing else will bail you out, and at the end of the day regardless of what you claim to believe, you too will show by your actions that this is true.

if you fall ill with cancer, you too will bow down to science and quickly abandon the "facacta" dream that you can simply stay home and pray to an imaginary man in the sky to cure you. And if tomorrow a meteorite is on course to hit the earth, all nations on earth will quickly trash their "In God we trust" mantras, and quickly scramble to find a scientific salvation.

• cofty
    cofty

It is not the first time that exJWslave has used the word "materialism" in entirely the wrong sense.

I explained it to him/her last time but it makes no difference.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Presenting evidence and reasoned arguments is a worthy venture. Scrutinising religious beliefs and superstions in the light of facts is something nobody should apologise for.....Cofty

Endlessy fighting with people about an Imaginary Villian with Super Powers(God)..Is not reasonable..

Like Pacloc pointed out..Why not argue about Superman..

He`s imaginary,hes got super powers,he`s not doing a dam thing to improve humanity..

Your making excuses for your endless evangelising..

People need to figure things out for themselves..

...............................................................................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• cofty
    cofty

People need to figure things out for themselves.. - Outlaw

Not everybody is so stubborn as to not appreciate people with more experience sharing things they have discovered. I have numerous PMs from people thanking me for things I have shared. Some of them have even told me how much they hated me at first. It's natural to get defensive when people expose our cherised beliefs to a reality check.

If your hyper-negative attutude was valid then sites like JWFacts.com are a waste of effort. But we all know from numerous testimonies that it has been very effective in helping people discover the truth about the truth.

Errors need to be challenged with objective evidence that others can check out for themsleves. If they reject it in favour of their superstitions that is up to them.

Attempts to spread religious or pseudoscientific superstitions need to be exposed mercilessly.

Like Pacloc pointed out..

Pacloc was a classic example of what I am talking about. He tried to preach christian apologetics regarding theodicy. His intention was to show that there was an answer to the problem of evil. When I engaged him at some length it turned out he was preaching a moral monster. He boasted that god strikes individual children with diseases like cancer so as to teach a spiritual lesson.

By having that discussion christian thesim was once again exposed as a disgusting cult of death.

You keep on with the cartoons if you must. Don't criticise those of us who make an effort to help others with well researched information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit