Science is right in its details, but wrong in its direction

by exWTslave 51 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Scientific community works almost like JWs. - Kalos

Let's compare.

In the Watchtower if you show that the concensus is wrong you get cut off from all your family and friends. Truth is based on authority.

In science if you show that the concensus is wrong you get a Nobel Prize. Truth is based on evidence.

For a classic example do some research on Lynn Margulis and her hypothesis on endosymbiosis. That is how real science is done.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yet man day-by-day becomes more and more unhappy and discontented,

So. Who is this man then? Anyone I know.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Science is right in its details, but wrong in its direction

On the other hand Religion has done nothing but promote ignorance, fear and superstition.

Caused wars, caused people to murder one and another over the slightest sociological problem within their civilization.

Focusing on the JWS religious cult you can add breaking families apart and causing suicides

or marketing commercialized lies by the Watchtower Corporation publishing house.

So from that perspective compare organized religion to science, what direction would you seem has more positive effects to improving the

human existence and quality of life ?

• Viviane
  • Kalos
    Kalos

Cofty,

When I said " Scientific community works almost like JWs, " I had in mind the plight of Albert Einstein. When he left the convention, and started talking like a messiah, he was treated like an apostate (as JWs treat apostates), and it's history Cofty too must be familiar.

If this is the sort of treatment Einstein himself received, you can imagine what would be the plight of ordinary scientists if they choose to speak in favor of God or soul.

• cofty
    cofty

you can imagine what would be the plight of ordinary scientists if they choose to speak in favor of God or soul.

Lots of scientists believe in a god of some sort. Kenneth Miller and Francis Collins are good examples of highly respected scientists who believe in god and a soul. As long as they leave god outside the lab and stick to the principle of methodological naturalism there is no problem.

No idea gets a free ride in science. If you want your superstitions to be taken seriously provide the evidence.

You suffer from typical christian paranoia and persecution complex.

By the way Einstein did not believe in a theistic god.

• bohm
    bohm

Kalos:

When I said " Scientific community works almost like JWs, " I had in mind the plight of Albert Einstein. When he left the convention, and started talking like a messiah, he was treated like an apostate (as JWs treat apostates), and it's history Cofty too must be familiar.

What is the evidence of this? Consider special relativity, it was proposed in 1905 (in a time where scientific communication was much slower today). Nearly the entire scientific establishment within about 5 years. This is pretty remarkable considering how little experimental evidence there was in it's support and legitimate critisism could be possible on that ground.

Are you talking about general relativity or something else?

• Kalos
  • cofty
    cofty

Like a number of physicists in the 50s Einstein fell under the gaze of the McCarthy paranoia. In at least one case the suspicions were valid. There were Soviet spies among Einstein's coleagues.

What has any of that got to do with this thread?

• bohm
    bohm

Kalos: But you realise Edger Hoover was not a scientist? Please read his biography, at that time he was spying on nearly everyone of notority. You wrote specifically that: " Scientific community works almost like JWs, " I had in mind the plight of Albert Einstein.

Edger hoover was not by any stretch of the imagination part of the scientific community. If you meant to say Einstein was treated poorly (as were so many others) by Hoover and FBI I do not disagree at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit