Reading the Watchtower and Awake! is like getting a college education!

by kairos 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I heard this as a kid from my mother.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

OTWO, Now it's more of a certificate from an online college.

You might want to rethink dissing online programs. There are many highly reputable institutions of higher education offering distance learning and online programs.

It's the way of the future and it's here now.

Here's a short list of quality places you can get an online education:

• Indiana University-​Purdue University
    • University of Southern California
    • Boston University
    • Virginia Tech
    • Central Michigan University
    • Seton Hill University
    • Pennsylvania State University
    • University of Wisconsin—Madison
    • Northern Illinois University
    • University of Massachusetts—Amherst
    • George Washington University
  • life is to short
    life is to short

A elderly sister just said this at the meeting less than two months ago and she totally belives it.

LITS

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The WTBTS leadership learned a long time ago that they can get their followers to believe all kinds of nonsense by simply saying it.

They tell them:

• You are ministers
    • Bibles scholars
    • Counselors and spiritual shepherds
    • We are the happiest people on Earth

and a lot of other nonsense.

The R&F eat it up. Why? Because they want to believe it.

Simply saying something doesn't make it so.

• “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― Adolf Hitler
  • blondie
    blondie

Here's one example of how reading magazines = a better education

*** w83 6/15 p. 31 An Excellent Education ***

IT HAS been said that by reading the Watchtower and Awake! magazines, along with other publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses, a person will receive, over a period of years, a considerable and broad education. To illustrate, one of Jehovah’s Witnesses wrote the following letter:

“I quit school in the 9th grade about twenty-five years ago. I have had no secular schooling since then. I should have, by all rights, stagnated mentally. Due to economic circumstances—I had to go to work full time to support my family—I found it necessary to go back to school for a high school diploma. I began school two days ago and the teacher decided to give me a test like the one I will have to pass to get my diploma. The test covered such subjects as science, law, social studies and reading comprehension. I told the teacher I didn’t want to take it because I knew I wouldn’t do well. But she insisted.

The result was that I scored one of the highest grades. The test grade needed to obtain the diploma is 35, which is the average score. I scored in the 55 range, or 4th year college level. Why am I telling this? Because the main source of my reading in the last eight years has been the publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I am an avid reader of them and do quite a bit of research.

“In the test that I took, I recognized that many of the answers were found in recent issues of our publications. For example, on science there were questions about fluorocarbons, a subject that had been discussed in Awake! It was similar with questions regarding physics, law and other subjects, including recent news events. Such events had been covered in the ‘Watching the World’ section of Awake! Also, my reading comprehension was exceptionally good. This is due to the fact that I read so much, which is necessary in order to keep up with the large volume of publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

“The credit goes to Jehovah God for educating his people in every way. I still can’t believe the results of the test, and so I had to share this experience with you. You should know just how valuable our magazines and books really are, and the work that you do in providing them is really benefiting us in every way. I thank both you and Jehovah for giving me an education I never realized I even had until it was put to the test. It has given me quite a bit of confidence in myself, which is something I needed at a time when the financial burden is going to fall on my shoulders.”

Would you like to grow in knowledge, obtaining an education of even much greater value than can be received in any college? You can do so by reading regularly this magazine and its companion, Awake! Not only will these journals help you to keep up with world events but they will also help you to see how these events fulfill the Bible prophecies regarding the time of the end of this entire system of things. Yes, regularly reading these publications not only will improve your knowledge of secular matters but will also provide you with knowledge that will put you in line to live forever in God’s righteous new system.—John 17:3; 2 Peter 3:13.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The result was that I scored one of the highest grades. The test grade needed to obtain the diploma is 35, which is the average score. I scored in the 55 range, or 4th year college level.

Blondie, that's a great quote!

So typical of WT "logic."

They have a single, solitary example of some unnamed JDub that apparently did well on an unspecified test of questionable reliability and we're supposed to believe that anyone that is an "avid reader" of WT publications will get the same results.

That is just sofa king stew pit I can even begin to explain how dumb it is.

Even if it's true, which I highly doubt (the WT has a long history of fabricating such "experiences"), there are just so many reasons that it doesn't prove anything.

• Where was this?
    • What were the credentials of the teacher?
    • What were the rigor and standards upon which this test were designed?
    • Is the test recognized by the state and/or whatever governmental agencey is responsible for issuing valid high school diplomas in this unnamed locale?
    • What is the native intelligence of the person that allegedly had this experience? Maybe he's just really intelligent even though he never got past 9th grade. Hey, it happens.
    • Would we get the same results if we conducted a double-blind repetition of this with a statistically relevant sampling of congregations worldwide?

I am a credentialed High School teacher in the United States. I have multiple degrees and am authorized to teach mathematics, music and science at the secondary level. I am currently working on a Master's degree in Education. I have taught every grade level from 1st - 12th grade. I currently teach at the High School level. This is my 8th years teaching at the secondarly level. I teach at one of the highest scoring schools in my state (API).

I was also a JW for nearly 30 years. I was an elder for two decades and served as the Theocratic Ministry School Overseer for about 15 of those years.

My professional opinion is this: There's no fucking way that reading the Watchtower and Awake! for four centuries, let alone four years, would be equivalent to any legitimate degree from a college and/or university. That's just bullshit!

-

• kairos
    kairos

Thanks for the posts

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So hang on....The GB says that university and college is "BAD" right?

Buuut....if we read the Awake and WT mags we will get "a better level of education" than from university??

SO, by that reasoning, everyone who reads the mags is BEING DISOBEDIENT to the org and is pursuing "higher education"!

insert 'Head spinning' moment right here!___________

• Divergent
    Divergent

Stuckinrut, JW's are not encouraged to go for higher education, as Jehovah provides the highest education. So unfortunately the line of reasoning you provided would not apply as it is always beneficial to pursue the "highest" form of education

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

*** w83 6/15 p. 31 An Excellent Education ***

IT HAS been said that by reading the Watchtower and Awake! magazines, along with other publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses, a person will receive, over a period of years, a considerable and broad education. To illustrate, one of Jehovah’s Witnesses wrote the following letter:

"Durrrrr. The round thing on my shoulders hurts."

Just my take on how the article should have been written.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit