Reading the Watchtower and Awake! is like getting a college education!

by kairos 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KateWild
    KateWild

I remember hearing it, but I don't remember reading it in print but I read that much rubbish I could have. I was actually convinced that it was equivalent to higher education, thankfully now I am awake and can critically think and see the basci language and concepts in WT literature that make it very simple indeed.

Kate xx

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes its true.....University of Window Cleaners.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

Hi,

I remember hearing this same quote a few times in my life-long JW run. Albeit very informative, these magazines no doubt have the JW agenda in mind and won't be accepted in the real world anywhere near equivalent to a formal college education.

Kids... GO TO COLLEGE FOR A REAL DIPLOMA! In STEM related degrees please, if your intelligence affords it, of course.

And don't waste your precious time and money in crappy Liberal Arts and other cockamamie related degrees either! Finding a good trade works out better financially. Do career training and see where your smarts place you in the education spectrum.

GC

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I remember hearing that back in the 90s.

It was actually one of my "wait, what?" moments, because I was college-edumacated, and there was absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Reading the Asleep rag is not a real education. These articles lacked the depth that Readers Digest issues of vintages of the 1980s and before had. You get disjointed articles that bear no semblance to continuity. You want to learn about, for instance, New Zealand? Have fun hunting for an article in the Asleep rag. Even if you found one article, try finding others that might enable you to live there or do field work in science. You wish to learn about the space shuttle? Have fun trying to build one using those articles. Have fun trying to fix your computer hard drive using articles from these rags--I bought a real course, and I was able to get a hard drive totally replaced, the RAM upgraded myself, the power supply upgraded, and Windows 7 installed on a machine that originally had XP.

And have fun trying to get the atmosphere of college, which is often half the reason people go. And I am not referring to partying, using drugs and drinking kegs of beer, and staying up until 6 in the morning. There is often the culture of being able to research things in the same building you can play video games, watch movies, or attend seminars. Or even enter a gaming contest without having to qualify (as long as you pay the fee). There is also the natural bounary that tells you it's time to move on from living with your parents. You go to college, you are now an ADULT, and not a child. Try that with the Asleep rags.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I think that was in print, but don't remember when/where, however, the statement is totally meaningless. To people who are ignorant and naive, a "college education" is something special. When I transferred to a new congregation some years ago and delivered my first part in that congregation, an older sister said "you can tell he's been to college". I was thinking how stupid and ignorant that was. I had been to college for a number of years, but that had absolutely nothing to do with my parts (content or delivery).

There are vast differences in college educations. Those differences depend on courses of study, difficulty, etc. I know people who graduated from college who don't know the difference between an adverb and an adjective, who can't manipulate simple fractions, etc. I know people who have zero college who are brilliant and knowledgeable.

So, reading the Watchtower and Awake is like having a college education, they say? Try getting into a professional school (JD, MD, DVM, DDS, etc) by putting on your application that you didn't go to college but you read the Watchtower and Awake for a few years. You can even add that you didn't miss a single issue and read every word. See how far you get.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The very first thing that a University education teaches you here in the U.K is to use Critical Thinking.

That is not only never taught in the MagRags, itis postively taught against !

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Now it's more of a certificate from an online college.

• tiki
    tiki

absolutely - it was especially in terms of the awake mag........and a total load of bologna. and apparently - from what i gather - the whole thing has been dumbed down to the intellectiual capacity of the average pre-schooler.

• kairos
    kairos

So don't include 25 years of WT magazine reading on my resume, then?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit