Was the Biblical Canon Directed by God?

by Chris Tann 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Apognophos: I read your suggestion of contradictions in the Bible. These are clearly two seperate events. You can tell by the contexts. Num. 20:14 says the Israelites try to pass through Edom after the water miracle,while Ex.17:8 says the Amalekites come to the camp of Israel to fight. Therfore at one time God told Moses to strike the rock and another time to speak to it.

Regarding what he wrote about God's holiness; Moses did not bring God holiness because he said he would bring water out of the rock,not God. But water did come out of the rock for all Israel to drink,and in this way God was made holy as vs. 13 implies when saying: " This was the water of Meribah...,and he [God] was hallowed among them."'

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Chris Tann, I suggest you take some hours to read over the material posted on that site, particularly the entries for Genesis and Exodus. The Meribah accounts are just a piece of a larger puzzle that you haven't seen yet. That being said, what did you think of the fact that the Israelites said "if only we had expired in Egypt" after 40 years had passed and the ones who had lived in Egypt were already dead? These sorts of oddities are evidence for the documentary hypothesis, and if you aren't familiar with it, you owe it to yourself to read up on it. The Contradictions site is one way to learn about it, starting with the articles in the Essential Reading sidebar.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The bible has over 100 contradictions , the 4 gospels of Christ are not in unison, 1 gospel has jesus from Nazareth another he's from Galilee. In one book 1 woman comes to find jesus body another there's 2 woman a 3d there woman and men. In one account the stone is rolled away another not. In one there's angels present but in another its men. In one gospel they are told to tell the apostles to go to Jerusalem another go to Galilee and yet another they the woman run off and don't tell anyone anything. Holy shit its starting to sound like JW's new light teachings.

• cofty
    cofty

It is impossible to reconcile the birth narratives of Matthew and Luke.

• humbled
    humbled

Chris Tann,

It will always be a man's (or a woman's) opinion about God.

So what if you have a "true" canon, and a "true" translation--Who is there to tell you what it means?

A "true" interpretation is the next hurdle.

Tell me--How do you deal with the most stable of all the books of the bible--Genesis. And within that book the signature moment of Judaism, Christianity--even Islam: Genesis 22 the bloody scene where Abraham interprets God's desire for him to kill his son Isaac.

Can you believe this prevailing interpretation, namely this-- God shredded key teachings of His in order to test His friend's faith?

God doesn't lie

God doesn't test with evil

God calls human sacrifice evil

I call pull out the book, chapter and verse on these points but surely you know where to find them.

My point is this: we have to rely on the honesty and scholarship of others with the limitations of education and circumstance. We are only second hand believers. Others interpreted these stories for us--opinions all.

I interpreted the Genesis story differently and was kicked out of JW land. My view was that it is hard to understand God even if you are a friend of his.

Who are you going to believe, Chris Tann? In the end, if you decide you have the canon God wants you to have, you willstill only have the opinion of a man--yourself.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

The "Silver sword" used by JWs depends on the books gathered by the very 3rd century "Christians" WTBTS condems for being apostate and accepting the Trinity. The same "Silver Sword" does NOT have bible books JESUS quoted.

Soooo what "canon" are you refering to...one that gets blown apart?

• designs
    designs

Chriss and others- What is your view of the long conclusion to The Gospel of Mark, 16:9-19.

As JWs we were directed to discount this ending because of its appeal to miracles.

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

To Apognophos:I will take you advice and look further on that site. The Exodus statement "if only we had expired in Egypt" can mean collectively speaking. For example they may have meant if "we" the jews;as in our forefathers had expired in Egypt we today would not be in this horrible plight.

To Humbled: yes you are right, it will always be a mans interpretation. I just favor the best explanation that I can find. However what totally convices me may not convince someone else,and I take that into consideration. That is why I consider myself a Notsurist,and dont demand others to believe what I have concluded.

To Designs: I think the long conclusion of Mark was just another Christian group adding their tradition of what they were taught. It seems to me that the gospels were very fluid when first put out, and each community contributed according to what they were told.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit