Was the Biblical Canon Directed by God?

by Chris Tann 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

To: Howthebiblewascreated, I'm not sure why you think my original post assumes all 27 books were accepted in the second century,when I plainly listed the books and approximate date that some were doubted as inspired by Christian groups in the second century. Everything else you mentioned I would tend to agree with,except mabey the second revolt thing; only because I haven't given it a thorough investigation.

To: Data-dog, What I do know about Tarturas is that it was first in greek literature before 2Peter even wrote about it. The way it is described is the exact way Peter describes it,indicating he got his info on it from such source.Mabey it is real, but all we can go by is the writings of antiquity, and the earliest one that speaks of Tarturas is neither Jewish or Christian. Sure many fables or writings have good moral teachings,and we can learn from them as well. However,I was specifically speaking of Christian writings that for the most part have held authority with the church for many many years and still do. These we can use and base our faith on.

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Phizzy: I did read the post from Doug Mason,it did not seem relevant to the topic. But thats my opinion. I have read alot on this subject,and I see good points on both sides. This is why I posted this topic. Iam just not confident to subscribe wholly to one side or the other. Hopefully more insight will be unearthed in the field of biblical archaeology.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

So what "Christian writings" do YOU think should be called "The Bible"??? Obviously we need to be on the same page to have a discussion. Otherwise, we go round and round.

It sounds to me like you don't care if something in technically accurate, as long as it's teaching a moral lesson. I have no issue with that, provided that other humans are not seeking to create a hierarchy to control others, all based on a fable. To be fair, IF there is a creator, ANYTHING that humans write that carries a timeless moral lesson would be inspired of GOD. After all, he gave us the ability to write moral lessons.

Agreed??

DD

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Chris Tann:

I must have misunderstood this line: " It is true that when it comes to the Christian Greek scriptures the canon has been closed for many centuries. Also, these books have been accepted by Christians ever since the second,perhaps first,century. "

BTW Hebrews alluds to 2 Maccabees and Jude to the Book of Enoch and the Apocylapse of Moses. Revelation's comoslogy is based on the Book of Enoch. (The BOE gives a very detailed description of the Jewish Universe)

• sunny23
    sunny23

"I get my morals from the 10 commandments. I'm about to go do as God commands and kill all of my neighbors I see doing yard work on this fine Sabbath day. This is getting very tiresome to do each week now. I really need to sharpen my machete but I think that would be work and then I would have to kill myself. Actually this whole act of killing all those who don't observe God's Holy day is starting to seem like a lot of work. Oh I know, I will devote Mondays to my infidel killings!" thoughts of a man before God sent his Son so mankind wouldn't have to kill sabbath day workers anymore lol

"The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

What a mean twisted arse. Killing off people who do work on a day thats special to you? And then sending your son and now people just need to show love and not kill anyone for any reason? Dumb. Hopefully the bible canon wasn't directed by any God at all because that would be so sad! And to those who believe in Jesus, even Jesus acknowledged and referenced the 10 commandments as being from God and summed them up into just LOVE so denying that jesus said what is in the bible makes it a much larger leap of faith to even believe he existed at all if you can't take the bibles word for anything.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I am no longer a christian, but I think that in terms of "authority", 1 Clement is much more authoritative than 2 Peter, because it was attested earlier than the latter.

• JosephP
    JosephP

The scrolls the Bible was taken fom was from God. But I know many parts of the Bible were changed, and some left out from the scrolls. I would say the scrolls are from God, not the Bible.

• Pterist
    Pterist

The WTS accuse Christendom of being apostate since the end of the first century and YET they accept ALL 27 NT books set as Canon by this apostate source ...go figure !

The Canon of scripture by F F Bruce is a good read on the history of the Canon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Canon-Scripture-F-Bruce/dp/083081258X/ref=sr_1_1/192-1554652-9434758?ie=UTF8&qid=1414371861&sr=8-1&keywords=ff+bruce+canon+of+scripture

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Was the Biblical Canon Directed by God?

..http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3331020/human-cannonball-o.gif

.............................................................................................................................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Data-Dog: I feel thd traditional 27 books of the Christian scriptures should be the foundaition of the the Bible. One can also learn from letters of the early church fathers like 1Clement as opusdei 1972 points out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit