Was the Biblical Canon Directed by God?

by Chris Tann 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

This is a question a sincere Christian may agonize over after learning that some books of the Bible were rejected by certain early Christian groups,while other books that did not make the canon were accepted. Also,when one realizes that so called inspired writers of the Greek scriptures quote from apocrypha,that most Christians reject today,one wonders if these writings that include these quotes should even be in the Bible.

It is true that when it comes to the Christian Greek scriptures the canon has been closed for many centuries. Also, these books have been accepted by Christians ever since the second,perhaps first,century. But wait! Around 170c.e. 2 Peter was doubted as inspired in certain quarters, around 180 Hebrews was doubted, 190-Hebrews,1&2 John and Jude. 230c.e. -Hebrews,James, 2 Peter, 2&3 John and Jude. Also, according to the Muratorian Fragment of 170c.e., the church accepted an apocalypse of Peter,which never made it in the canon of today.

Yes, we as Christians can believe that God gradually directed certain writings to be weeded out,while others included. My objection is- why was there such confusion of which ones were inspired around the time of their writings? Why did God not make it explicitly clear which ones he "breathed on"? No where in the Bible does it say God would direct the formation of books for the Christians.

Now,for me, I feel that every Christian book is in harmony with God's will and standards,whether inspired or not. Thetefore I believe at the very least that he approves of these writings for us to live by; even if some may have written things that are not accurate. When it comes to inspired topics, the writer usually says he had a vision or revelation prior to his writing about it. Therefore at best,the vision was inspired,not the writing of it. This whole topic does concern me because when I read my Bible I want to be sure that at least it has God's approval;and that Iam not just studying a man's oppinion about God.

• designs
    designs

How do you reconcile James with Paul.

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Designs- please be more specific so I can answer your question in the best possible way, thanx.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Shuffling some letters and books together and claiming its Gods magic is silly as there are hundreds of christian writtings.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You may find this of interest, from our excellent Poster Doug Mason.

http://www.jwstudies.com/Survival_of_the_Bible.pdf

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

Check out Intoduction to the New Testament by Dale Martin.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Marked. Thank You.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Chris Tann Now,for me, I feel that every Christian book is in harmony with God's will and standards,whether inspired or not. Thetefore I believe at the very least that he approves of these writings for us to live by; even if some may have written things that are not accurate.

So why not just see, both so-called canonical books and any other early Christian writing, as a historical document requiring a critical analysis, to allows us to see what people were believing and doing in that period.

Putting them all together, we still have a deficient historical record for the beginnings of primitive Christianity.

• Gregor
    Gregor

There is NO god. So that settles that.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

It does not say God wrote thebible it says those who wrote thebible were inspired to write it. The bible is a written testimony about Christ.It does not give life. What gives life is the living Christ. THemystery of the ages not known until the 1st century was made known to the gentiles.The Mystery is Christ in us. THe churches do not teach this. See colossians 1:27. All thigns have bene reconciled back to God and he dwells within all.What is being manifest is the living Christ in you. All will come to the realization of him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit