"Ebola is not spread through the air" -- CDC. Yeah, right!

by FatFreek 2005 50 Replies latest social current

• simon17
    simon17

Simon17 do some research. All of that has been verified. Let me simplify this, the virus is EXTREEMLY contategous... we are just apparently fortunate that you arn't particularly contegous till late in the illness.

No, why don't YOU show me YOUR research. Because every paper, scientific research, etc in the entire world says the OPPOSITE of what you are saying. So show me YOUR sources.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Pistof can you point me to one republican that wanted the CDC budget cut? Just because you believe in a smaller more fiscally responsible, it dosn't mean that you don't belive there are some ligitimate functions for Government.... besides sequestration was the presidents idea.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

simmone17 here is a couple quotes from http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

"Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature."

"Once someone recovers from Ebola, they can no longer spread the virus. However, Ebola virus has been found in semen for up to 3 months. People who recover from Ebola are advised to abstain from sex or use condoms for 3 months."

(These were the specific comments I was refering to when I said it was all verified. My apoligies if you thought I was referencing something else)

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

A quote from http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/ops/hsc-scen-3_flu-transmission.htm

"Some analyses report that influenza typically has a transmission rate of about 10. But others suggest that flu is not as highly transmissible in a community setting as has been imagined. The R0 for the 1918 pandemic was estimated to be only 1.8 in one study, while the 1918 pandemic strain's R0 was estimated at around 2 by another estimate. According to another analysis, the estimated proportion of the population with A/H1N1 immunity before September 1918 implied a median basic reproductive number of less than 4. Another study estimated R0=1.89 from influenza case incidence data for the first wave of pandemic influenza A (H3N2) starting in July 1968 in Hong Kong. These results suggested that the reproductive number for 1918 pandemic influenza was not large relative to many other infectious diseases. Other recent estimates of R0 for seasonal and pandemic flu typically range from 1.5 to 3. Estimates of the reproductive number (R) from England and Wales (1958-1973), for a mixture of influenza types and subtypes, ranged from 1.4 to 2.6. In contrast, SARS had an R0 of 3 (excluding super-spreaders), and measles has an R0 of 10 to 15, pertussis (16 - 18) or polio (8 - 12)."

Most extimate the Ro for Ebola at around 2

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Republicans, esp the Tea Party species, don't believe in government solutions to problems, they won't consider any revenue increases at all, and so sequestration, not the president's first choice, was supposed to be the horrible automatic result if they could not compromise.

Well, turns out that it happened, and what some predicted has come about; no immediate huge problems, but to weaken the rĂ´le of government in this area has resulted in a problem.

Tea partiers want less government until something like this happens, and then they scream that government doesn't work.

Also known as pissing on people's heads and telling them it's raining.

• simon17
    simon17

simmone17 here is a couple quotes from http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

"Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature."

"Once someone recovers from Ebola, they can no longer spread the virus. However, Ebola virus has been found in semen for up to 3 months. People who recover from Ebola are advised to abstain from sex or use condoms for 3 months."

Ok that is saying IF Ebola was on a dried surface. But that means that a bodily fluid was there. You'll note that it says it does not spread by sneezing or coughing unlike airborn viruses, unless you sneeze directly into someone's eyes or mouth or something like that. I agree that if someone left bloody prints on something, it is infected for quite some time. But that is only if the person were symptomatic and only if that person was oozing stuff, which would pretty much be isolated and quarantined immediately to be cleaned (which is easy to do). Definitely true about the semen, I wouldnt have sex (condom or no) with an Ebola survivor for at least three months, that's for damned sure.

I appreciate you having sources. I still think that Ebola is not airborn as it says here and that you are at very little risk even if a person with Ebola were to be on a plane with you. I will be willing to be all the people who flew with this latest victim will come away perfectly fine :)

Have a nice day :)

• DJS
    DJS

From today's CNN on-line

Outrageous statements about Ebola

Experts break through the myths

The U.S. experience with Ebola -- that is, three cases diagnosed here -- is generating commentary both prudent and inane. FULL STORY

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Simone as to my point... Don't you think at this point of the matter, when you become contaegeous is probably just as important as weither it would be airborn?

If you are not contegous till after you show signficant symptoms, we have a very good chance of isolating patients and getting the outbreak undercontrol.

IMO arguing about it being airborn is a strawman. There are many non airborn illness that spread VERY well. Some research suggests that even flu isn't truely airborn but droplet (just like ebola). Also evidence suggests that you shed the virus in your sweat... that would give ebola an advantage that many other viruses don't have. Also ebola probably can gain infection through numerous ways... with respitory infections you probably have to get the virus into your respritory tract.

The virus can very clearly become airborn atleast for short periods of time. However... since respitory infection isn't a symptom normally seen early in the illness it is very unlikely that the patient sheds in an aerosol matter. However vilolent vomiting and stooling probably can create an areosol. Also many medical procedures probably can create an areosol.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

"I will be willing to be all the people who flew with this latest victim will come away perfectly fine :)"

I wouldnt feel much fear in that airplane example... but would you walk through and ebola ward with no protection if I could promise you that you wouldn't accidentally touch something?

• rebel8
    rebel8

The virus can very clearly become airborn atleast for short periods of time.

Evidence?

My post on the first page of this thread explained what airborne means and does not mean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit