"Ebola is not spread through the air" -- CDC. Yeah, right!

by FatFreek 2005 50 Replies latest social current

• smiddy
    smiddy

I think more and more people are becoming aware that the disease is more contagious than what we were led to beleive.

smiddy

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

In west africa the air is warm and moist. Resperiated droplets don't dry out and fall out of the air. In the cool dry air in the hospital... they dry and stay in the air. There is a reason almost all viruses thrive in winter. Coool Dry Air.

The fortunate thing is that Ebola dosn't particularly favor inffection of the air way If it did way more virus would become airborn. On the other hand I don't think the virus cares how it gets in. Also since nobody in his family appears to be sick... it really does appear you arn't to contageous till late in the illness. Some confort for the comunity but hell for the health care workers.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Some don't seem to under stand... it isn't that differn't from the flu. What makes the flu special is you are contagous before you are sick and there are asymtomatic cases that are spreaders. If either of these happen you have no hope of contaning it.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

LOL @ BOC

Just wait till it mutates, which it could easily do very soon given the numbers infected increasing all the time. This could get ugly real quick.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have no doubt whatsoever that airborn droplets will carry the infection to a new recipent with ease. The statement that it is not airborn is without merit. Worse, it is criminally mis-leading. Few diseases are floating around in the air, yet they spread.

The information on sneezing,on coughing, on hand washing etc, and containment by those infected or suspected of being infected needs to be much more widely and boldly broadcast.

In my day it was considerd to be the most disgusting thing one could do to cough or sneeze in public without containing it in some way, now people cough, sneeze, hawk and spit all over the place, with no care for the welfare of others. Even back in those halcyon days we were not sufficiently aware of how we continued to spread disease even if we used a handherchief or similar.

Ebola will spread with ease because people's personal habits, and hygeine, are terrible.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Well I guess I'll chime in, as the resident skeptic.

Every time there is a new disease in the news, people think it's airborne and that's being covered up in a conspiracy. Happened with HIV too.

Airborne is not the same as droplets. That means it's carried on dust in the air and you don't even have to be near an infected person to get it. If a disease is truly airborne, it spreads quickly. Ebola has been identified for about 40 years.

And then there's droplets, which is not the same thing as airborne. You need to be near a person who coughs or sneezes a droplet of infected liquid. This is how TB is spread, for example. CDC isn't hiding the fact that droplet contamination can occur on surfaces; in fact, they are publicizing it.

Is it possible an organism could evolve to be airborne? Possible, perhaps, but that hasn't happened. Many diseases have been around a lot longer and they haven't, either.

It is terrible that this disease has such a high mortality rate, but it's great that it's not airborne.

In all my years of working in healthcare, whenever a healthcare worker has gotten a non-airborne infection from a patient, there was a break in universal precautions, or equipment failure.

This stuff is not unknown--we do know a lot about viruses.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

For a professional health care worker, one who is knowladgable about how virus is transmitted and takes knowlageable procautions, for that professional ( two of them) to contract the disease says a lot about the degree of contagiousness of that virus.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

And the Fox News fear mongering ignorance and misinformation continues....

GC

• simon17
    simon17

Ebola also survives for hours on hard surfaces, days on wet ones, months in semen, and unknown how long in soiled fabric.

No it absolutely does not.

This Ebola outbreak is now about 11 MONTHS old. If it spread like this, you'd have millions upon millions of infections across the world. It is an extremely easy virus to contain if you know what you are doing. A guy bled out, vomitting, everything on a plane to Nigeria and no one on the plane got sick. Only the doctors who were treating him like a non-Ebola patient and contacting his bodily fluids got sick.

If this was the 10th century than Ebola would be the modern day bubonic plague. But its the 21st century. Its not a big problem in places that have 21st century medicine.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

Regarding the latest patient that traveled to plan her wedding, all people she interacted with must be sweating bullets right now. Where I reside, people do not even want to shake hands or hug. People are freaking out and Fox News is feeding into the frenzy. Jerks!!!

GC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit