"Ebola is not spread through the air" -- CDC. Yeah, right!

by FatFreek 2005 50 Replies latest social current

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Somehow, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling when I keep hearing from the Center of Disease Control, "Ebola is not spread through the air ..."

Ever sneezed? The famous Myth busters had a revealing show on the power of the sneeze – anecdotally it has a velocity of some 35 miles per hour and travels a distance of some 30 feet.

Ever traveled in the close confines of an air liner? Not everyone properly covers their mouth.

See what I mean?

Len Miller

• Razziel
    Razziel

I've seen a lot of posts in local media putting all the blame on the nurse for getting on the plane from Cleveland but then I read this tidbit:

CBS News Medical Correspondent Dr. John LaPook reports that Vinson called the CDC several times before boarding the plane concerned about her fever.

“This nurse, Nurse Vinson, did in fact call the CDC several times before taking that flight and said she has a temperature, a fever of 99.5, and the person at the CDC looked at a chart and because her temperature wasn’t 100.4 or higher she didn’t officially fall into the category of high risk.”

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I found this to be a good explanation of how its spread she has a point about droplets.

link

• prologos
    prologos

That is why people say " gesundheit" after a sneeze, you need all the health precautions you can get.

Why would a full protection suit include goggles, if the virus can not come through space, the air? Eye/ skin contact? never that close!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

If nature has chosen you to pass on your DNA, then you will. We have earned our right to be here, and we will continue to do so.

DD

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"Ebola is not spread through the air ..."

It sure as crap is!

Four weeks ago it got on a plane and travelled 7,000 miles from Liberia to Texas!

• Sam Whiskey
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Ebola also survives for hours on hard surfaces, days on wet ones, months in semen, and unknown how long in soiled fabric.

Not a threat my ass.

• Sam Whiskey
  • Simon
    Simon

Apparently it lives well on hazmat suits.

The descriptions of needing direct contact seem too conservative - the number of healthcare workers who took precautions (not just in the US) shows that it may be a lot more communicable than is being admitted to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit