"Ebola is not spread through the air" -- CDC. Yeah, right!

by FatFreek 2005 50 Replies latest social current

• finally awake
    finally awake

I've read that perhaps as many as 70% of people in affected areas of Africa are actually naturally immune to Ebola. It is *possible* that an extinction level event is not possible with Ebola because too many people are just plain immune to it. However, given the high death rate, we can't expose people on purpose to see if they get sick. But this could explain why none of Mr. Duncan's family have gotten sick (yet), and only 2 of the nurses (so far). I'm not minimizing the threat, I firmly believe extreme measures should be taken to stop the spread of this disease, but it may turn out to be a lot less awful than it initially appeared to be.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

jgnat I start reading everything I could soon as I heard about the health care workers getting sick back in the spring. When I was younger I read a book about Spanish flu and it freaked me out. So I pay attention to any signficant inffectious disease out break I hear about.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's interesting there was so little hoopla in the US about the many outbreaks over the last 40 years until the recent one that infected Americans. Not even when there was a movie based on it. Interesting.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Is CDC ready to redefine protocol for Ebola protection to include hermetically sealing of patient?

Five Days Ago!
    "The head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said there was 'clearly' a breach in protocol that led to a Texas health care worker contracting Ebola after treating a Liberian man who later died from the virus, although authorities do not yet know what that breach was."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-chief-on-second-ebola-case-there-was-a-breach-in-protocol/

Today -- no break in protocol?
    Dr. Daniel Varga of Texas Health Resources told ABC Chief Health and Medical Editor Dr. Richard Besser. "We have no indication that Nina or Amber had any break in protocol," he said. "We were working with the best information we had. In retrospect, would we have liked to hermetically seal them so this didn't happen? Absolutely."
    http://www.dailynews724.com/new-york/ebola-nurse-called-texas-health-officials-before-flight-uncle-h274624.html

So, now it's possible that hermitically sealing the patient may become the latest in protocol modification?

Recall what a hermetic seal is?
    "A hermetic seal has the quality of being airtight."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermetic_seal

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's interesting there was so little hoopla in the US about the many outbreaks over the last 40 years until the recent one that infected Americans. Not even when there was a movie based on it. Interesting

A few weeks ago some in JWN were saying that it wasn't America's problem, so we shouldn't have to do anything. That seemed very short sighted to me. For one thing, we are one of only a few nations capable of doing anything. Aside from humanitarian reasons, there was always the possibility that it would come here. Now it is here and people are in a panic.

• Gregor
    Gregor

CDC should be called the CYA.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I take anythig the authorities say with a grain of salt. They do not want people panicing, so they will try to down play the dangers. I have learned the medical profession only tells you what they think you need to know.

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

Ebola is not spread through the air. I'm a nursing student. If Ebola was spread through the air like TB, everyone on that plane would have been sick. The mans Ebola spread to only 2 people, and they happened to be people who were exposed to his bodily fluids. It was an accident. His relatives who took him to the hospital were not infected. If it was airborne at least 10-17 people would be infected by now.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Why are we so concerned about if ebola is airborn? The much more important thing is when you become contegous. As long as it stays that you are only contateous late in the illness we will be okay. If people become contageous eariler we are screwed.

Kneehigh... not to pick on you but it could be airborn but just not yet at that point. Maybe somebody has to get sicker before it would become airborn.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Can any of the right wingers on the forum now see the wisdom of NOT cutting every government program in sight?

Since Fox is fanning the flames of (their viewers) ignorance, are they also campaigning for restoring pre-sequestration funding to the CDC?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit