JW.org: " One Hundred Years Ago—1914"

by rebel8 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

I agree...just wow.

On the other hand...good job WBTS for keeping up the craziness! And you are watching the History Channel and highlighted 2 - 3 events out of thousands that happened that year! Don't get me started about the striking mine workers that fought for better working conditions which eventually were implemented...events that all working people benefit from today.

Wow.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As Data Dog said :

If you can't hide the truth, spin it...

So they supply Count Down Cards that run out at the end of Sept. 1914 and then have the nerve to say again that

"By year’s end, the Messianic Kingdom had been firmly established in the heavens, and some Bible Students thought that their work was done. Little did they know......."

They speak as though the ones that expected it were running ahead , giving their own opinions, when we know that they had officially taught this for years.

Nowadays however, few dubs are aware or care about this. I was in the company of some "mature ones" this week and found the opportunity to remind them that this was the momentous centennial of "the greatest event for 2000 years". They looked blank and had no idea what I was talking about.

• SAHS
    SAHS

I’m surprised that they didn’t come out with a modern, up-to-date death countdown card for October 2014 – an online version, that is, on JW.org!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Thanks for posting the image of the countdown card. I embedded the image but now it's gone!

I googled “Be Thou Faithful Unto Death” countdown card and found out that it's been on the Internet for a few months. So my guess is, as another poster mentioned, the wts is trying to take the wind out of the sails before it goes viral.

omg...what about all those dubs who claim there was no false prophecy back then? This is huge.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This is a quite sanitized description of history.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I wonder who published the countdown card?

Yeah you're right NY44M. It is quite shocking they'd show this, but I wouldn't be surprised if some r&f member made these up and this is the Borganization's way of blaming them for being too eager.

• bruh2012
    bruh2012

For those who still go to the meetings- just wait til the CO comes, I'm sure he will have almost that same 1914 Russell excuse- There must be more work that Jehovah wants us to do. enough already!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

One hundred years ago on October 2nd, 1914, a huge world-changing event took place.

Babe Ruth hit a double off the Yankees ’ Leonard Cole at Fenway Park on Oct. 2, 1914 in a game he started and won. That was his very first Major League hit.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

What the WT is not saying is that Russell thought Oct 1st was going to be the end of the system. After the disappointment of the false prophecy he revived his prediction as Oct 1st being the end of the gentile times.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Basically a santized article talking about how great they were back then, that zinger of a death countdown card, with the disclaimer that "some" did this.

Interestingly, they state this. Not sure I've seen this in print ever?

On the morning of October 2, 1914, Brother Russell entered the Bethel dining room and announced to the Bethel family: “The Gentile Times have ended; their kings have had their day.”

So we all know this was part of a larger quote whereby he gives a pep talk to a very disappointed group who thought they'd be in Heaven by yesterday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit