Come with me, back to the 1980s--you know want to.

by FlyingHighNow 82 Replies latest social entertainment

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

D-D, great idea!

Marina

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Saw the English Beat twice. Absolute favorites! Also saw The Jam, too cool. Who could live without Madness? 80's? Was inactive almost the whole decade, best years of my life! Great sex, fantastic people and still no drugs!

Mirror in the Bathroom The English Beat

That's Entertainment The Jam

Razor Blade Alley Madness!

• justme67
    justme67

I loved the 80s. I graduated in 86. I loved Billy Idol and Motley Crue. The Lost Boys was a great movie. Breakfast Club too. I miss those years.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I was in high school in the 70's so for me they were great years. Part of the 80's were good except for 1986 when I made the worst mistake of my life and was baptized, my life was never the same after that until I got out two years ago.

Cantleave, I did those crazy perms in the 80's too! I even came across a picture where I did an Afro, what in the world was I thinking?!? Lol!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Gorgeous picture of you and your kids.

Thank you. I was 26. They were so sweet and so not messed up.

I'm loving all of your comments. Thank you all. You're cheering me up.

Loved the '80's....not a big fan of the Thompson Twins....It was all about U2 for me.

I only like the one song by the Thompson Twins. I was looking for Mirror, Mirror by Dollar and came across Lay Your Hands On Me. Listening to the chorus and looking at their hair inspired me to make this thread. I was sad about losing that 60s and 70s sound of bands without so much synthesized music, that U2 and REM were my favorites. But I missed so much good New Wave music because I was listening to oldies and classic rock most of the time. I had a younger boyfriend for a while after my divorce. He was a kid and started high school in the 80s. He turned me onto a lot of New Wave music I had never heard before. It's him that made me realize how I didn't appreciate the 80s like I could have. I was raising little ones and busy trying to be a JW. So now, I really love those 80s. I didn't miss everything, don't get me wrong.

The New Wave song I was looking for when I found that T. Twins song. Thank you, Andy, my dear friend for showing me this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkI2VBiLgg

• JeffT
    JeffT

Wife and I DA'd ourselves in March 1989. Highlight of the decade.

• kaik
    kaik

I love the 1980's. The music, fashion, hairstyle, colors. Time of big hope. I lived behind the Iron Curtain and watched communist system to crumble. More freedom. Got permit to travel to West and got my first passport. Had my first job. So many of people I knew were alive in that decade, but are long gone, including my father. While I would not like to relive the time again, I would like to visit it for one day to see places that were changed. Dine out in places that do not exist anymore. Chat with people who died since then. It is hard to believe that it is 25+ years in the history.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The 80s were pretty fantastic! its hard to top some good ol' talking heads.

Did you see the wonderful movie David Byrne did called True Stories? It was based on tabloid stories. He traveled to a Texas town and all of the characters were based on tabloid stories. The soundtrack was Talking Heads. We saw it at an art theater in Atlanta, GA. If you haven't seen it, look for it. One of the best films of the 80s. Here is a scene and song from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWP07YgUWig

Let's pick a different decade FHN

The JWs took fun from the 80s for me, too, but I did still enjoy them. Here's your chance to go and rediscover the 80s and enjoy them.

Here is something crazy to think about. Next year is 2015. What if all dressed like we were supposed to in "Back to the Future 2"?!?!

DD

Fun idea!

Pam's Girl, I think it's wonderful that you had so much fun.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Love the Miami Vice shirt and the permed hair. It worked for you. You were really cute. And you have matured very stylishly. Love the well groomed goatee and the shaved head.

Then JWs came along and took my life away. Second half of the eighties was very hard because of JWdom; my every second was governed and consumed by it. My looks went downhill, I got out of shape, I had no time, I started living in guilt, etc.

((((((((((Magnum))))))))) I bet you look better than you think. I'm glad at least you had fun in the early 80s.

Saw the English Beat twice.

Lucky! Thank you for the song links.

Breakfast Club too. I miss those years.

I never get tired of Breakfast Club and the other John Hughs movies. The 80s had so many great, well done teen movies.

Cantleave, I did those crazy perms in the 80's too! I even came across a picture where I did an Afro, what in the world was I thinking?!? Lol!

I had more than one perm in the 80s and the Bi Level, not quite mullet hair do, too. Mz. Aunt Fancy, you better post that afro pic.

Wife and I DA'd ourselves in March 1989. Highlight of the decade.

Good for you! That was my last active year in the 80s. I went inactive in 1990. Never went back.

I love the 1980's. The music, fashion, hairstyle, colors. Time of big hope. I lived behind the Iron Curtain and watched communist system to crumble. More freedom. Got permit to travel to West and got my first passport. Had my first job. So many of people I knew were alive in that decade, but are long gone, including my father. While I would not like to relive the time again, I would like to visit it for one day to see places that were changed. Dine out in places that do not exist anymore. Chat with people who died since then. It is hard to believe that it is 25+ years in the history.

Kaik, fascinating. Where do you live now?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I loved the Go Gos and B 52s. I used to get told I looked like the younger, wider faced Belinda Carlysle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3kQlzOi27M

I'm going to post more 80s pics of my family and me, hoping to encourage you guys to post some of you.

1980 with Carrie-Anne at her second memorial.

With Carrie-Anne in 1981. I was 22 and she was 2. At the end of the year I would make a big mistake and marry a born in JW.

Then 1984 brought my second pregnancy and huge problems with Rh incompatibility. The morning I left for the hospital to have my son Jesse.

Carrie-Anne and baby Jesse in 1984. What a crummy mother I was to allow my children to be hurt by the witnesses. I went inactive in 1990, so they at least got to spend the next part of their childhoods away from the KH. But it helpd unravel my marriage. I was not raised a Jdub. So when we went inactive and my born in ex didn't take the kids to the meetings, I allowed them to do a lot of normal things.

Carrie and another witness girl playing Hee Haw Honeys in a school show. Carrie so outshined every kind in that show, with her poise and natural talent. Carrie is on the right.

My kids with the neighborhood friends and my Bible Student's kids. The only boy is my son and the girl in the blue sweatshirt is my daughter. The hispanic girl's mother was a JW and they lived down the street. She is not a JW anymore. Thankfully, my student stopped studying when she moved away. She said she didn't want to study with anyone else.

Jesse and me at a two day convention in Macon, GA. 1986. Fun, fun, eating breakfast in our seats.

This is me a few months ago. I'm about to turn 56 October 15th. 1984 I tunred 26. 30 years ago. Man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit