Going on the OFFENSIVE

by Coded Logic 35 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

The WTBTS has an easy time painting x-witnesses as “apostates” because the direction of information is entirely one way. And JWs rarely get an opportunity to consider both sides of the equation for themselves. I think that websites like this one are a great tool for those who are already questioning their beliefs or are already entirely out. And it is also a great site for advice and community.

That said, it’s a rather passive medium. It’s not like we’re knocking on JWs doors and telling them to go visit jehovahs-witness.net. Has anyone considered a more aggressive approach? Perhaps a leaflet campaign at a kingdom or assembly hall? Or perhaps something more ambitious, like crowdfunding a bulletin board near Watchtower headquarters? With big bold words saying something like “Jehovah's Witnesses part of United Nations for 10+ years!”

Surely there’s got to be some way that we can go on the offensive and expidite the fall of the WTBTS. Just think of all the children and the young adult lives that will be ruined over the next twenty years.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Passiveness is the best form of attack.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Why do you think passiveness is the best form of attack?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

You would think the WBT$ was their own worst enemy with the stuff they 'teach(tm)' the R&F. In many cases the R&F are waking up.

No matter what we do it is down to individuals to make up their minds and overcome their own confirmation bias.

There's a lot of discussion about not going on the offensive and then the pros of going on the offensive.....y'just can't win.

One man's meat is another man's fish and all.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

If you get too aggressive about it, you inevitably end up playing the role (bitter apostate) that the wts has cast for us. If you're not careful, you may actually delay someone's awakening by keeping the apostate phobia strong. The only way any apostate information will ever take hold is if it is presented in a non-threatening way. There are few ways to do that better than to just put it up online and let the doubters find it themselves. Of we remain passive, everytime the WT has an article about bitter apostates it will stir up doubts because it won't line up with their experience.

That said, I think simple signs (I.e. ones with only www.jwfacts.com written on them) might work since it plants a small seed that can eventual come to fruition in private. Additionally, I try to play a small role by never directly going in the name for sites like this, instead I use Google to get to it, which can improve the rankings and get the sites a little more visibility.

The public in-your-face campaigns handing out leaflets at conventions will probably never have great success because even a jw with huge doubts can't take anything while others are watching.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

OneEyedJoe- I keep thinking about this, ie a sign that cant be removed by the dubs, or get asked to "move on". I have a number of big white vans that could be adorned with a vinyl sign of some kind, with slogans like the UN farce. Parked up outside an assembly hall, parking paid for the whole day. The dubs cant get you to move on, and signs on vans dont need planning permission.

Newcastle city hall anyone? Would work well there!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Gone AWOL - sounds like a great idea to me. One thing I'd recommend, though is to go with a less controversial message. The UN thing is just so unbelievable to anyone who's still indoctrinated that they'll probably assume it's a creative lie and not investigate further.

I like the idea of printing up the picture on jwfacts (or on like it) that shows a grandparent with their child and grandchild captioned "how many generations do you see?" Then the address for jwfacts. Since the generation change is still fresh, I feel like that's probably the best thing to go with.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Why do you think passiveness is the best form of attack?

I'm not new hope, but my answer would be "because JWs find out TTATT when it's the right time for them to know it". You can't force someone to see TTATT. I hope you don't think that you can. As OEJ said, being aggressive just triggers their apostaphobia (which, after all, is not fear of men, but fear of learning that the religion is a lie).

But one day, if the religion really isn't working for someone, their guard will eventually lower and they won't be so afraid of what apostates have to say, as long as they can hide behind the anonymity of the computer while reading it. They'll do some searches on the Internet and end up here or on JWfacts, and they'll learn at their own pace and focus on the areas they need to focus on which are personally convincing to them.

I think the best target for an offensive would be non-JWs. I do support the idea of going door-to-door handing out leaflets which warn people about the JWs. Many will of course not be interested, but, done right and with a mildly-and-accurately-written leaflet, it could do a real service in preventing a few people from becoming Bible studies and getting sucked in.

• prologos
    prologos

Any such action reqires to be organized and the bigger the push, the more organisation would deveop

Org= politics and many had a lifetime too much of it already, but

For the Young Turks, a Charismatic personalty such an 'army solution' may present an opportunity. but

It was the worms, the rot?, that finally sank Colombus' ships.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

I encourage everyone to do anything that they feel comfortable doing and will not make a JW feel persecuted. Signs with QR codes and anonymous emails that make a JW curious are great ideas. Asking simple questions of JWs manning carts and overcoming thought-stopping platitudes are also good.

Contacting politicians to revise satute of limitation laws for child sexual abuse, tax code laws for non-profit organizations, and for charity laws would probably have the biggest impact, but the WTBTS would probably try to spin it to JWs as governments were persecuting JWs.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit