IF you believe in evolution, theistic or not.....

by DATA-DOG 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Data-Dog - "When you think about it, we aren't that different from any other creature on this planet, are we?"

Other than sentience, no, not really; I wasn't disagreeing with that suggestion.

I was somewhat dismayed at the "gross" and "barf" bits of your comment.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

One of the things I am most facsinated by from evolution, something creation doesn't even try to answer, is that humans figured out how to spread across the south Pacific to different islands just 50,000 years ago.

....and then again, we figured out how to get off the planet to the lifeless moon AND GET BACK AGAIN and have just compounded our wealth of information since then. And that part has all happened in my lifetime.

And then another thing that is just awesome about evolution- homo sapiens evolved as tool makers/users that had tamed fire. We never got anywhere as a species without "tamed fire." Even the creation story puts man in a garden with all the food he needs and no real need for clothing or shelter, hence no mention of taming fire or even using basic tools. Even without mentioning fire, humans are a succeess as an evolution because of tools. We learned to throw stones and sharpened sticks in hunting, which was way beyond the apes. Again, creation doesn't mention our "God-given ability."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't know.. I am sometimes a bit grossed out by the tender indignities of love. Then again, I have issues...

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I know that I enjoy " 2001 A Space Odyssey" MORE than when I was an asleep dub.

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I was more confused when I was a god fearing JW about nature and why would god who is supposedly a loving and just god make animals behave in the way they do.

Understanding biological evolution has cleared that up for me.

Thanks science .

• prologos
    prologos

I just thought that I could more easily explain the rise of the cuckoo bird behaviour( or any parasite) by evolution, rather than

by the design, the actions of a god that markets himself as a loving, responsible father/mother.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Are you more amazed by nature documentaries NOW, or were they better when "God did it"??

Now, by far. Less magic involved but the same fundamental questions.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

The first cell organizing itself into a functioning replicating organism is even more facinating.

A very good observation! A functioning cell that reproduces itself with inheritance of the parent's/parents' traits, including a material and energy processing mechanism to support that reproduction, is the engine that powers evolution by natural selection. That first step is the most important one.

Another important step is at the other end of the journey: death! The cycle of birth, life, and death ensures a continuous renewal, so the better adapted can thrive while the poorly adapted decline. Death works hand in hand with reproduction, providing the opportunities for natural selection to occur. In this imperfect world death should be considered the alternative not to life, but rather to extinction.

[edited for wording and style]

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Nature shows are way cooler when in the context of evolution, for sure. One of my favorite quotes that sort of related to the topic, by Douglas Adams:

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

Going a but further, I think it's more beautiful when you don't believe in the fairies.

• yalbmert99

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit