Oklahoma beheading - Islam is a disease

by Simon 1524 Replies latest members adult

• Gregor
    Gregor

To set the record straight - In the 1967 war Israel was being threatened on three sides, the fourth side being the Mediteranean ocean. Lyndon Johnson never gave them any support as the Egyptians, Syrians and Jordanians began beating war drums. Finally Israel went it alone and kicked ass. The seven day war ended with Israel taking the Gaza strip from Egypt, the Golan Heights from Syria and the West Bank from Jordan. On their own.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

LoveUniHateExams,

Only that a good place to start is to try and understand how it happened that our civilisation came to reach its present level, whereas that of the Arabs decayed (after having once been the world leader).

Unlike yourself (and a number of others who have posted on this thread), I don't feel that this is a pointless exercise. Figuring out the "how" and "why" of it just may well assist in arriving at the eventual solution. There is certainly no "silver bullet" on the horizon, but one thing to always bear in mind is that old adage:

- "Those who ignore the lessons of the past are often doomed to repeat them."

Bill.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Bungi Bill

'vague ideas' - you and me both, eh?

How about this: Western goverments should present a document to imams, leaders of muslim associations, etc. that they are to sign.

Various points could include recognising that the law of the land is above all religions, including Islam; cooperating with authorities; explicitly abandoning Shariah law; recognising others have the right to different beleifs and lifestyles, etc. Mosques whose leaders sign can then be monitored by the goverment. Mosques whose leaders refuse to sign can then be shut down.

Sound good?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

LoveUniHateExams,

JWN has not got my full attentions this morning (local time), attempting as I am to do work on my Advanced Diploma of Engineering course (which is carried out online).

However, here goes!

It is generally recognised that the principle of Rule of Law laid the basis for the advancement of Western European economic prosperity that followed from its (often gradual) adoption. Primarily, this had to do with the law's respect for, and protection of, private property. However, by extension, it came to also include the law of the land respecting a person's other rights, as well - in addition to those of his or hers personal property.

It has been argued (and from what I can see of it, with considerable validity) that certain once flourishing civilisations did not endure primarily because the Rule of Law, particularly with regard to private property rights, was either weak or non existent. Such civilisations were not destroyed by external, barbarian invasion, but rather, collapsed inwards on themselves. (Certain civilisations in Central America have been cited as examples of this).

Certainly, all religion should be and must be subject to the Rule of Law.

With rights comes responsibility (loathe as I am to admit this, but that is one thing the WTS at least got right!) Living in a Western democracy, you are afforded certain rights. But those rights are conditional - it only comes if you are in turn prepared to afford those same rights to others.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for the moment. (Would like to talk more about these things, but my Advanced Diploma studies call!)

Bill.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I understand your situation Bungi. I have cut back on my posting as I am preparing the exams for the Advanced Degree in Horseshit.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Gregor,

Good qualification to have, perhaps even the most useful one of the lot.

Come to think of it, I might enroll myself I that same course you are taking!

Bill.

• TheSilence
  • cofty
    cofty

Excellent link The Silence.

In your culture you have the luxury of calling such literalists “crazies”, like the Westboro Baptist Church, for example. In my culture, such values are upheld by more people than we realise. Many will try to deny it, but please hear me when I say that these are not fringe values. It is apparent in the lacking numbers of Muslims willing to speak out against the archaic Shariah law. The punishment for blasphemy and apostasy, etc, are tools of oppression. Why are they not addressed even by the peaceful folk who “aren’t fanatical, who just want to have some sandwiches and pray five times a day? Where are the Muslim protestors against blasphemy laws/apostasy

Eiynah is a Pakistani-Canadian blogger/illustrator who writes about sexuality in Pakistan.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

cofty - I agree.

The writer makes several excellent points including this:

'We must distinguish critiquing an ideology from being hateful towards a group of people'

Her letter should be made compulsory reading for everyone at JWN involved in the Islam threads.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

We must distinguish critiquing an ideology from being hateful towards a group of people.

Arguably, the sanest comment yet on this whole 76 page long debate.

Bill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit