Oklahoma beheading - Islam is a disease

by Simon 1524 Replies latest members adult

• Simon
    Simon

Satanists want to open a temple in Seattle, should this be acceptable under "freedom of religion"?

Yes, as long as they are not violating any laws or harming anyone. Freedom and rights doesn't mean just the things we "like".

There was a case recently where a monument with the 10 commandments had been put up on the grounds of a government building. Some petitioned to have a satanist monument erected as well (it got in the news because someone crashed a car into the christian one).

This is the problem though - if you allow one then you have to allow all otherwise you are favoring a single faith and there are a lot, far too many to allow. So you shouldn't allow any.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Sam Whiskey - strange post.

What on earth does it have to do with this thread?

• designs
    designs

The Ayatollah of Iran just announced that because of Israel's treatment of the Palestinians they must be' wiped off the face of the earth'.

And you wonder why the Crusades are now in its 10th Century.....

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The following quote from Billyblobber hits the proverbial nail fair on the head. This was made on another post, which has since been locked out (at least, I assume that is what the padlock symbol means!), so I will quote it here:

"Many of the problems with Muslim extremism are based on the geopolitical history in the areas in which it has taken hold; when it has similar amounts of time / generations exposure to Western lands / politics, it results in more liberal variants of the religion, over time, like all of the Abrahamic religions."

"Like all of the Abrahamic religions":

- Contrary to popular perception, not all branches of Christianity developed in contact with Western civilisation. An example of this would be the Coptic Church of Ethiopia (which led to the centuries old legend of "Prester John" - a mystical Christian ruler somewhere in the heart of the African continent). When the first European explorers finally managed to enter that part of the world in the early 19th Century, they observed great acts of barbarity being carrried out as part of Coptic rituals. (For further details of this, Alan Morehead's White Nile is very informative).

That Western civilisation subsequently went on to advance, whereas Arab civilisation was all but destroyed in the 13th Century has more to do with luck than it has to do with anything else. The Mongol invasions of the Arab world in 1256 AD, followed by the sacking of Baghdad in 1258, devastated Arab civilisation in the same manner in which the Mongols devastated all others that tried to oppose them. After a short siege by the Mongol armies, Baghdad surrendered - only to be completely devastated in retaliation. 800,000 of the city's population was slaughtered, and all the city's vast libraries were destroyed, including the "House of Wisdom" (an institution which at one stage had boasted the largest collection of books in the world). So great was the destruction of Baghdad's libraries that the Euphrates River was said to have been visibly stained by the ink from all the books that had been dumped into it.

Less well known is the fact that by then, Western Europe had already come within a hairsbreadth of receiving exactly the same treatment. In the autumn of 1241, Mongol armies invaded Central Europe and brushed aside all opposition just as easily as they had defeated all other enemies that they had encountered. The Hungarians were defeated at the battle of Mohi, and in the vast bloodletting that followed, 50% of the Hungarian population was killed. Simultaneously, other Mongol armies invaded Poland, and also carried out great slaughter and devastation, culminating with the battle of Legnica in April of 1241. During that battle, an allied Polish / German army received a decisive defeat, leaving Western Europe wide open to Mongol invasion.

That this did not happen was due to the sudden death of the Mongol leader, Ogedai Khan. Ogedai was a chronic alcoholic, who died shortly after daylight on the morning of 11 December 1241, following an all-night drinking session. With the death of the supreme Mongol ruler, all other sub-rulers had to return eastward to elect a new supreme leader. For whatever reasons, the successors of Ogedai Khan decided not to invade Western Europe, but instead to turn their attentions to the Arab lands to the southwest of the Mongol heartland. This left the Pope and the Holy Roman Emperor free to continue their incessant squabbling, completely oblivious to the disaster that had all but overtaken them!

There is no natural, inherent superiority of Western civilisation over those of Asia (or anywhere else, for that matter). Nor did the rise of Western civilisation come about because of any superiority of its our "holy book" over those of others. Rather, Western civilisation firstly was able to revive, and then to go on to greatly advance, solely because it was spared the Mongol invasions that completely wrecked the then dominant civilisation, that of the Arabs.

That the Mongol invasion of Western Europe never eventuated was solely due to a certain beverage, chemical formula C 2 H 6 O, for which the Great Kahn developed an over-fondness for.

As the Australia comedian Kevin Bloody Wilson expressed it, "Praise be to Grog!"

Bill

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Bungi Bill - Billyblobber made a fair point but how long should Islam be given for reform?

Decades? Centuries? Millenia?

'There is no natural, inherent superiority of Western civilisation over those of Asia' - that's debatable, though possibly for another thread.

• PhilJonesIII
    PhilJonesIII

I used to wonder about people disfellowshipped. The official line was that should the 'Big A' come then they would die. Going one step further, if the elders were santioned to take the disfellowshipped person outside the KH and stone the miscreant to death....would they? I can think of a few that would and with a smile.

One of the first cracks in my faith was a line from a Watchtower article circa 1973 (paraphrased): 'If we were required to do so we would fight with the most modern weapons available' and they meant military weapons.

Firstly religion removes the fear of your own death. Secondly if god sanctions it then there is no limit to the atrocity you can commit.

"Utterly slay old men, young men, maidens, little children, and women, but do not touch any man on whom is the mark....." Ezekiel

"Their bows will strike down the young men; they will have no mercy on infants, nor will they look with compassion on children. " Isiah

The precident is already there. I take the view that it only needs a shift in sentiment for these words to come alive again.

You may not believe in god but only a fool would ignore the very real effect of belief in god. Yes Islam is today's bad and well used by ISIS to justify terrible atrocities. Christianity is not so far removed.

Ban religion? Good luck on that one. As long as 'my god is bigger than your god' is heard then blood will flow.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

LoveUniHateExams,

How many of the great civilisations have ever revived after destruction by invasion?

The only one that comes to mind is China. For all the others, it meant at best, at state of permanent decline.

PhilJonesIII makes some very good points - including that, at heart, the human species is a violent and extremely cruel creature.

This streak of cruelty is never very far away, either:

- even in the most "advanced" of civilisations, such as what we imagine ours to be. Even the empire that imagined itself to be the very paragon of "All that is Cultured, all that is Noble" i.e. Britain, committed many acts of atrocities during the Irish War of Independence (1919 - 1922).

That was just 90 years ago - which in the scale of history, is no time at all.

Also, during the proceeding centuries, Britain used often great brutality in suppressing the Jacobite and other rebellions in both Ireland and Scotland. (For details, John Prebble's Culloden is an excellent read - being of Scots/Irish descent myself, and whose ancestors were a Jacobite clan, I was reared on such stories!).

The list could go on and on; the massacre of Black Kettle's Cheyenne encampment at Sand Creek (see Flipper's previous post on this thread), the Thirty Years War, the Spanish Inquisition, both Catholics and Protestants burning heretics (i.e. "Non-believers") to death at the stake. - a death at least, as cruel as the beheadings that we have heard so much about lately. (Regardless, too, of what the various "holy books" did or did not say about such things).

That underlying streak of cruelty always was and still is there in the human race - and nobody, but nobody, is squeaky clean in this matter - no matter how superior we would like to think or culture is.

In this way our Western civilisation has no natural, inherent superiority others - i.e. ours is not the current advanced and leading one just because we are the West and for no other reason. (No bloody way, in fact!)

Had the Mongols completed their 13th Century invasion of Europe by also laying waste to Western Europe, the history of Western civilisation could well have been very different. When would the Renaissance have taken place then, I wonder, let alone the Age of Enlightenment (if ever)?

Bill.

• designs
    designs

We'd all be speaking Mongolian and eating yak yogurt....

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Correction to Post 858:

-Apologies, everybody. When I mentioned the contents of Baghdad's vast libraries being dumped into the "Euphrates' River, I meant the Tigris River!

Bill.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Bungi Bill - Western culture is superior primarily because it recognises human rights. Descrimination of minorities is illegal. Gay people can be openly gay and get on with their lives in relative peace. Religious freedom is recognised (including freedom from religion!). There is a minimum wage.

I realise that all this is very recent and not implemented perfectly. Western culture isn't faultless, there is always improvements to be made, but surely it's the best humans can do.

You don't honestly believe that all cultures are of equal merit, of equal worth, do you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit