The height of delusion on display at last Tuesdays meeting...

by BU2B 35 Replies latest jw friends

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The old testament Jehovah is basically analogous to Allah as espoused by ISIS and Boko Haram.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

If anyone feels better... there is zero evidence for the book of Joshua being historical. (Jericho's walls and Hazor's burning are another topic)

The book was written as propaganda in the Ezra 9,10 setting... Hate Canaanites! We killed those F888ers when we moved here see....

The sad part is the same propaganda is spewed from Kingdom Halls today.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

If the OT crowd loved war mongering so much why don't JWs go to war today

and steal all the catholic women and livestock, and take over the fancy churches.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It goes to show how many JWs have read and meditated on their Bible. I think many don't realise how barbaric the OT is.

Despite reading the Bible cover to cover and reading these accounts, I never comprehended that Israelites raped and pillaged along the way, as instructed by Jehovah.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I watched a documentary once that mentioned that the israelites [ not really israelites though ] were a troublesome sect , nomads maybe,

and that early christains were also trouble makers. thats wht rome had to do something about it.

• steve2
    steve2

What you "see" when you read the Bible is influenced by your current religious views. As a J W, I had a great sense of personal pride in having read through the entire Bible at least 3 times (and likely more, but who's counting? ).

Never once did I give a moment's thought to the barbaric practices of the Israelites because they were God's chosen people. Similarly, I was never morally disturbed by Jehovah's murderous rants against those who dared disobey him - even if it entailed also killing innocent children; indeed, I'd lay the blame at the hands of the children's disobedient parents, and I'd sleep easy. Jehovah is a perfect Creator - He can do no wrong; humans deserve all they get when they turn away from Him.

It's easy to read the Bible and pronounce it a wonderful, principled set of writings the loving Creator has preserved for the betterment of humankind. Yet, it's just as easy to read it and declare it a motley collection of human experiences dressed up in the language of the mentality of the times in which it was originally written and reflecting

local prejudices and needs which over time are given the cloak of religious authority and "truth".

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's interesting how we sometimes read about the brutality shown in ancient combat, what with beheadings, blindings, etc., and yet when it's "our team" doing the killing and maiming, it seems okay, because the losers were those bad pagan nations who should have been serving the true God.

It puts things in perspective because we don't have (or at least we don't read) the equivalent of the OT from the Babylonians, the Assyrians, Egyptians, etc. in order to see things from their point of view. Imagine if we had grown up with a Babylonian OT instead of a Jewish one and a Babylon-derived religion instead of a Judaism-derived one; we would have been rooting for the Babylonian soldiers as their God commanded them to slaughter those infidel Hebrews and take their cities and their women.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Marked

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I could still be going to meetings, but the last few times i did the comments were making me giggle so i thought it best i stop going

• millie210
    millie210

Thank you Steve!

I appreciate all the comments but yours especially stood out to me as so very balanced.

You are exactly right.

If the same "horrors" of the Old Testament were being wrought on ISIS right now, everyone would be cheering.

Its important to look at things in the context of the time they were being written.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit