Do you pay for air for your tires at your gas station?

by jam 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Here in the U.K I live equi-distant to two gas Staions. One charges for air, the other does not. The one with free air charges a little more per Litre, so if I want to use the air pump, I fill up at the one that offers it free, and end up paying about the same in total.

I cannot work out if there is any virtue, or even logic, in what I do, it just feels right.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Phizzy - Know what you mean. Like driving 15 miles to save a dollar on a food item. Gas $3.50 gal. /30 mile round trip in a car that gets 25 mpg. ??

• Terry
    Terry

If you go online and use the inflation conversion chart you can plug in one dollar in 1960 and see what the BUYING POWER

was in terms of GOODS and SERVICES.

Has the same buying power as:

$8.04

If we consider 1/3 of a dollar as .33 cents we can divide $8.04 by 3 and see "what can you buy with 29 cents".

The answer is about $2.78 worth.

see:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=1.00&year1=1960&year2=2014

• snakeface
    snakeface

Sevral years ago I bought a small compressor for about $20 in Walmart, which plugs into the car's power port. I keep it in the trunk and use it to fill my tires right at home. I've also used it to help otehr motorists. I recommend these small compressors.

• Simon
    Simon

Spend a little more and get one with a battery in! Not only can you boost your car to start it in winter but also inflate your tires without risking any drain of the main car battery and, the best thing of all, power a cooler while you go on a camping trip so you have nice cold beer.

http://www.costco.ca/Powerstation-PSX3CA-Portable-1%2c000-Peak-Amps-Jump-Starter-and-Air-Compressor.product.100138527.html

• Terry
    Terry

Product DetailsI carry one of these. It takes 3 seconds or less to completely air your tire from a flat to fully-inflated.

Genuine Innovations G2673 Air Chuck Elite Inflator by Genuine Innovations (Feb 26, 2010)

• Simon
    Simon

Terry: Those are just for bicycle tires right?

• jam
    jam

Form Division of Measurement Standards, Air & Water complaint form.

State of California Department of food and agriculture.

After requesting free air and water from the attendant on duty, was the

equipment activated or were you provided a token? If not, you were

refused free air or water service, please complete and submit online

at www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms, or mail to; Division of Measurement

Standards, 6790 Florin Perkins road, suite 100, Sacramento, CA 95828.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Air for the tires is free in the farming areas and by smaller cities. In the larger metro areas you pay for air.

• James Brown
    James Brown

In Florida there are not that many gas stations.

Mostly 7-11's and convenience stores.

Service stations disappeared in the 70's.

If I could find free air. I will take it.

It is hard to find.

I do have my own compressor.

Often when my tires are low on air, I have a nail, screw or a piece of metal in the tire.

I then pull it out with needle nose pliers and stick a plug in it.

I do remember and miss the days when they would pump your gas and check your oil and tires.

back in the 60's and 70's.

Terry, How can brand new vehicles be imune from flats and not old vehicles?

If I put brand new tires on my old vehicle what is the difference.

Tires only last 3 or 4 years or 40,000 miles or so.

If I run over a nail with a new tire on a new or old vehicle. I think it will still go flat.

I have pulled nails and screws out of my wifes new tires and plugged them.

I know there is something in them because they loose air, go flat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit