My JW mom is now willing to "listen" to our side...Need advice pls

by 2pink 56 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Any doctrine that has changed back and forth is obviously out of context and points in time. The best example is the Generation teaching which changes regularly and is very illogical now.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

If this site had a 'like' button I would so be liking your comment Paul.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

@DocHouse, I still fail to see your point. I re-read my comments and am confused what you are attempting to address in my comments. I wasn't talking about hellfire, purgatory, etc. I'm sorry, but your points are lost on me because I'm not sure what you are attempting to correct me on.

But, if it makes you feel better, I don't dispute what you say: death is death. I agree with that. If you don't believe in a future resurrection and the ransom of Christ, then that's where we diverge, and if that's the case, so be it.

• Cameron_Don
    Cameron_Don

Many have been helped by the evidence and reasonings presented in "Captives of a Concept."

• TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso

I have a single scripture that nail the point of the twisted interpretation of the JW, out of context:

John 10:16: "And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those too I must bring in, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd."

Who are the "other sheep" mentioned by Jesus?

JW say that are the persons that will live in the earth in contrast to the annoited that will live in Heaven with Christ.

The questions are:

1) To whom Jesus says this words?

2) Which is the matter in question? Some kind of future hope (earth vs heaven)?

3) The expression "sheep" used by Jesus many times referes to whom?

First, if You see the context You will see that Jesus is talking with the Pharisees (see John 9:40 forward).

Second, the subject in debate is the identification of Jesus as the "fine shepperd", the defender and protector of the sheep. He as a sheepfold were they can find protection. This is the context to whom he speaks. Anywhere, Jesus speaks about a future hope in heaven or earth but only about a simbolic "sheepfold" for figurative "sheeps".

Jesus tell to is listeners that in the sheepfold that he as, two groups will be reunited under is protection and supervision. Remember that this words are said directly to the Pharisees and with all the crowd of disciples and other people listening. No hopes are involved.

Third, Jesus says "And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold..."

"Other sheep" but not of this fold... what this means? The expression "this fold" is important here! Imagine Jesus surrounded by dozens, if not hundreds of people. Making a sweeping gesture he says "...which are not of this fold..."

What fold?

Well... What was the nationality of their listeners? Israelites! Jesus said several times that he had come to preach to whom?

He answered: “I was not sent to anyone except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” – Matthew 15:24

This is the key to understand that Jesus was talking about "other sheep" that don't were from the "house of Israel". Who were they?

Jesus said before ascend to heavens: " Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them." – Matthew 28:19

YES! People of all nations would be gathered to the same fold that the disciples belonging to the "house of Israel" becoming one flock with one shepperd.

This happened when gentiles began to receive and accept the Good News of the gospel.

When someone read this text in context and simplicity, its clear this understanding. A JW will have dificulty to rebute this explanation and will see the distortion that Watchtower give to the text and the words of Jesus.

• SAHS
    SAHS

The other ones I can think of are:

• The identification of the “superior authorities” of Romans chapter 13, which has been changed and then changed back again;

• The policy regarding organ transplants (once thought to be cannibalism), which was also changed and then changed back again;

• The policy about getting immunization shots against major diseases (polio, influenza, tuberculosis, small pox, rabies, etc.);

• Flimsy scripture references WTS uses to prohibit birthdays, mother’s/father’s day, tattoos, lottery tickets, smoking, hypnotherapy, beards, women microphone handlers, etc. (you know, those scriptures that just don’t fit at all), often making them disfellowshipping offenses (except beards, I guess, which is more related to earning “privileges” in the congregation).

The search feature shown at the top of this JWD Web page will easily provide all the necessary WTS literature references and scriptural references they use, which can more than adequately show that the WTS has basically been trying to pound a square peg into a round hole as far as forcing their own “scriptural” interpretations.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Saving this!

• DocHouse
    DocHouse

TJ- yopu are correct about the 'other sheep'.

No basis to claim he was referring to the majority of those worshiping God that will inherit the earth.

It could be @ the Gentiles, or those in future days.

• Magnum
    Magnum

You asked for a scripture taken out of context...

Prov 4:18. Has nothing to do with an organization's changing doctrines.

• ozbrad
    ozbrad

Ask her why god punished the snake if it was just satan speaking through it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit