Take Responsibility For Your Thrownness

by non_trias_theos 50 Replies latest jw friends

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Subject: Potentially v. Realistically

A young boy went up to his father and asked him, "Dad, what is the difference between potentially and realistically?"

The father thought for a moment, then answered, "Go ask your mother if she would sleep with Robert Redford for a million dollars. Then ask your sister if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars, and ask your brother if he'd sleep with Tom Cruise for a million dollars. Come back and tell me what you learn from that."

So the boy went to his mother and asked, "Would you sleep with Robert Redford for a million dollars?" The mother replied, "Of course I would! We could really use that money to fix up the house and send you kids to a great college!"

The boy then went to his sister and asked, "Would you sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars?" The girl replied, "Oh my God! I LOVE Brad Pitt! I would sleep with him in a heartbeat, are you nuts?!?!?"

The boy then went to his brother and asked, "Would you sleep with Tom Cruise for a million dollars?" "Of course," the brother replied. "Do you know how much a million could buy?"

The boy pondered that for a few days, then went back to his dad. His father asked him, "Did you find out the difference between potentially and realistically?" The boy replied, "Yes, sir. Potentially, we're sitting on three million dollars, but realistically, we're living with two sluts and a fag.

This makes more sense that what you're saying.

• Gopher
    Gopher

This post seems rather "mystical" to me.

Maybe there'll be HILDA pay!

Keep on BINGEN the nonsense!

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'd just like to say how well we are all doing with regard to the T word after Simons advice. But I do realise now why it took me ages to admit to my friends that I was once a witness. I thought they would think I was strange or something. I can't think why.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Polytheistic (John 1:1) Pedant,

: : Freedom brings with it responsibility.

$$$That's why dubs don't have it: they cede their freedoms and their responsiblities of choice to a bunch of clowns.$$$

: Again you are talking about your personal experience.

Is your argument that more dubs than not are free to speak what they think and make any non-religious legal decisions as they see fit with umpunity? Yes or no.

If you say "yes," go tell your local Circuit Overseer to shove Watchtowerism up his ass and report back to us the outcome of your exercise of freedom-of-speech in WatchtowerLand.

Get a job mowing lawns for your local Baptist Church. Stand up at the Watchtower Study and say the 1914 doctrine is a bunch of unsupportable bullshit, but that's only your opinion. Tell the elders you just love those great blow-jobs your wife gives you several times a week. Take some kids to the YMCA. Buy any car but a blue Buick 4-door sedan. Subscribe to the "Plain Truth" magazine. Start a Chess club in your local Congregation. Put your kids in a Catholic school. Join the Police Department, or the Army. Start a Smurf collection.

Let us know the outcome of the exercise of your "freedoms."

Farkel

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Why do you ask your huband for direction on all topics? Have you not read Proverbs 31? Proverbs 31 shows that you as a woman have been granted precious freedom by God to take responbility for your own existential thrownness and you have the authority to pick out your own undergarments.

Well, I do recall being told that women are to be submissive to their husband (just as Christ is to...someone or something, I cannot recall). I was taught this as a good JW young woman would be.

I did so enjoy putting a napkin on my head when there was a male in the room; even if it was a baby. I also enjoyed not having any responsibility in the congregation...this really set me up as a house cleaner...

Regarding Proverbs 31...when I left the dubs, I burned my bible!! Now that was liberating. Suddenly I saw the light! I do not need a man--to tell me what to do!! [8>]

• TR
    TR

squidboy/girl says:

You may have surrendered your freedom when you became a Witness. I did not.
    Bullshit. You know damn well that freedom of thinking as an individual is given up when one becomes a 'hovah. Oh sure, there is freedom to choose your underwear, well not really, because one wouldn't want to dishonor 'hovah by buying sexy underwear.

Then there is the freedom to earn a living. Well not really, because there are many types of work forbidden by 'hovah, right? Plus, you want to make sure you choose the kind of work that allows you to attend all meetings.

Then there is freedom to read what you want. Well, not really, because you should limit your reading to good christian reading material that is published by the WTS.

Then there is the freedom to associate with people that you choose as friends. Well, not really, because association needs to be limited to 'hovahs 'in good standing'.

So, you see, there IS freedom among 'hovah's people. Well, not really.

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• non_trias_theos
    non_trias_theos

Syn:

$$$Sigh...so who SHOULD we blame? It was NOT a personal decision. The greatest motivator for becoming a Dub is simple, animilistic FEAR transmitted through the frontal lobe which groks religion to the inner bits of the brain, which only grok pain. Somewhere in the translation, faith is born! Don't tell me you don't fear "Judgement Day". What would your religion be without it? Answer: It wouldn't exist as a religion.$$$

It should have been a personal decision. You have all of the equipment, supposedly, to make rational decisions in life. If the decision was not a rational, wise, informed one--then blame yourself. And fear is not the only thing that motivates one to become a Witness. That is the fallacy of reductionism (nothing-nut-ness).

Fark:

$$$Is your argument that more dubs than not are free to speak what they think and make any non-religious legal decisions as they see fit with umpunity? Yes or no.$$$

You need to learn the difference between existential freedom or volitional freedom and freedom of speech. One is philosophical and the other is political. So your questions are null and void.

Puffy:

$$$Well, I do recall being told that women are to be submissive to their husband (just as Christ is to...someone or something, I cannot recall). I was taught this as a good JW young woman would be.$$$

You only apprehended part of the story. You need to focus on the overall pattern of truth. Remember Sarah and Abigail. Remember how God blessed these strong women? A husband is not supposed to be a dictator.

$$$I did so enjoy putting a napkin on my head when there was a male in the room; even if it was a baby. I also enjoyed not having any responsibility in the congregation...this really set me up as a house cleaner...$$$

You raise a lot of issues. But I do not want you to overlook the main point. You retain your freedom and autonomy since you have the capability to type on this board. Use it wisely. The Bible does not condemn such actions.

$$$Regarding Proverbs 31...when I left the dubs, I burned my bible!! Now that was liberating. Suddenly I saw the light! I do not need a man--to tell me what to do!! [8>]$$$

The Bible does not say that a man has to tell you what to do. You should have kept it and read it!

• non_trias_theos
    non_trias_theos

$$$Then there is the freedom to earn a living. Well not really, because there are many types of work forbidden by 'hovah, right? Plus, you want to make sure you choose the kind of work that allows you to attend all meetings.$$$

Have you ever heard the saying, "Liberty does not mean license"? If not, you need to acquaint yourself with this lovely axiom. Being free does not give you the right to do whatever you like. That is even true with poliitcal freedom.

$$$Then there is freedom to read what you want. Well, not really, because you should limit your reading to good christian reading material that is published by the WTS.$$$

Who is the liar now? I know many Witnesses that read all types of publications NOT produced by the WTS.

$$$Then there is the freedom to associate with people that you choose as friends. Well, not really, because association needs to be limited to 'hovahs 'in good standing'.$$$

That reasoning comes straight from the Bible. So it sounds like you have a problem with the holy book of Judaism and Christianity. Not just with jws.

• ballistic
    ballistic

non-h,
    Can you just answer 1 question as you seem to be avoiding mine. Why do you bother coming here i.e. with what purpose?

• Farkel
    Farkel

As I said you are a pedant.

: You need to learn the difference between existential freedom or volitional freedom and freedom of speech. One is philosophical and the other is political. So your questions are null and void.

You never answered my question, nor did you qualify your definition of freedom in your original post. When faced with a challenge that you don't want to answer, you then pop up with what you "really" meant by a word you used in a normal unqualified context.

That makes you:

1) A pedant
    2) A pedant who also happens to be an asshole.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit