strange experience at the RC- was it segregation?

by tornapart 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• tornapart
    tornapart

I went to the RC last weekend (for my hubby). It was at a new venue. A large arena usually putting on music concerts. At lunchtime we went to have our lunch. While hubby queued up for our cups of tea I went and found us a seat at a table, next to a window. I sat down pulled out my sandwiches and started to eat and a brother came up and told me 'sorry sister, you can't sit here, it's reserved for the gujurati brothers. You can go over there in the middle'... pointing to a large dark area already packed out. I looked around the area I was sitting and couldn't see a single gujurati. All the white brothers and sisters were told to move. We were all unhappy about it. Hubby and I went outside and found a bench down by the lake. Walking down I saw several gujurati brothers and sisters outside, looking back I saw through the window where I'd been sitting, no gujuratis.... coming back after lunch, the area was still empty. Not a single gujurati was sat in there. Room for about 100 people... empty.... because they didn't want white brothers mixing with asian brothers? Hubby told me not to get upset about it, but it just seemed so ridiculous to me!

Just felt like venting...

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Tornapart, I'd be upset too. If they did want to reserve and treat some of those out of the country special, then they do that ahead of time roping it off, but even then, I do not think it the least bit correct at all. It is showing faoritism, and why? They want to make these people feel super special? They are love bombing them. ugh.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Ah, glad you enjoyed the spiritual paradise, I bet you cant wait for the real one where you'll be told you can't live where you want in the house you would like.

How pleasant to see such harmony!

Actually it is pathetic, you are right to be offended and annoyed. If there is a next time tell them you'd like to meet them and will move if they request it directly.

• quellycatface
  • tornapart
    tornapart

The part of the country this venue is in has a very large asian community. Personally I have nothing against them at all and actually quite like the diversity in our country (as long as they try and fit in). I felt it was very wrong to segregate them, even though they formed the 'foreign language' group. I'd have been more than happy to share this area with them. What really annoyed me was that by doing this they sectioned this area off, that was perfect for eating our lunch... and the whole time it remained empty!! It was really badly thought out, jobs-worth, red tape and totally ridiculous. It's still getting to me- a week later! Thought maybe by venting here I could forget about it.

I think what really gets me is the fact that someone made up this rule, forced brothers to implement it (the brother that moved me on asked for back up because he couldn't handle it by himself!) and then ended up with an empty area that could have been used by everyone!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Don't let minor annoyances like this trip you and take you away from the path to everlasting life, sister. In the new system you can look forward to all sorts of blessings. Why, you can look forward to meeting ancient faithful servants of God like Moses. You'll be able to approach him freely and ask him anyth-- oh, I'm sorry, please take a place in line after the Gujarati friends are finished speaking with him.

• tornapart
    tornapart

LOL Apog... thanks for making me laugh!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Not necessarily segregation but a clip-board attendant throwing his weight about. I'd like to think my response would have been (always easier to think of in hindsight):

"Brother, there are no Asian brothers and sisters here at the moment. We'll finish our sandwiches. We won't be long. If the area fills up and we are in the way, we will move." Big smile. Eyes communicate, 'You want me to move now? Just try it, buster.'

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Tornapart: Hubby told me not to get upset about it ...

Really, why WOULD you get upset about such a little thing as being told where you can or cannot sit?

- -

NCA

WO

- -

... or eat?

- -

WSW

NDNM

NGA

- -

... or have a drink of water?

- -

drinking fountain

wc

- -

... or sit on the bus?

- -

Rosa

- -

... or go to the bathroom?

- -

RR

- -

... or go swimming at the beach?

- -

beach

- -

... and take a shower?

- -

shower

- -

... or get your laundry cleaned?

- -

laundry

- -

... or get an education?

- -

Education

- -

... or even just want to wait somewhere for a little while?

- -

Wait

- -

Seriously, why would you let any of this bother you? You must have a problem, a problem with authority!

- -

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Setting aside seats based on race or ethnicity is segregation. I fail to see a difference between KH segregation in Jim Crow South and Indians being assigned special seats. The whole issue of seating brings back many unfair situations and even violent fights. When I was a baby, I was thrown back to the darker regions of Yankee Stadium. My mom said it was so depressing. Besides, what kind of people hate infants. We would commute from so far only to see empty seats a few minutes before the start of proceedings. In school my friends had a picket line. I did not believe it was prudent. Rather than ugly scene when I crossed the line, I was asked to save seats. I stripped so I could claim seats.

I often joke about my permanent record with Jesus or the number of Jesus brownie points I gained by certain actions or inactions. A good test for Jesus to administer would be to focus on seating behavior at assemblies/conventions. It is a place where we can all lose points with Jesus. I felt like tearing sister's hair out at many a gathering. I saw no graciousness towards others.

Of course, you make suggestions for improvements at most religions. May I ask how the white people felt about being ejected from their seats. A rogue usher tried to have me ejected at church Christmas eve. We linked arms and legs to hold our ground. I told him I would move as soon as any priest told me to do so. Mr. Drunken Usher ordered security guards to remove me. They recognized me from volunteering and wished me a Merry Christmas. It takes a lot of money to maintain these massive churches. Wealthy people are selected to donate. One Easter he printed his own Easter admission tickets and charged money which he pocketed. Seating seems problematic everywhere. I did receive an abject apology letter from officials.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit