strange experience at the RC- was it segregation?

by tornapart 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

tornapart, you sit on on side, she sits on the other side of the table and your son sits on the side between you. (BTW this is not a serious statement)

I can remember when they provided sitting down tables and chairs for older jws when they still had a food system at the conventions. But there were signs identifying it was for older people. But to separate off one national group???? Did they forget to tell the people in this language group? Do they have some beliefs to be separate from others? Did they have jws present to help them if they did not speak the local language well? Are there other language groups given separate eating areas? http://www.everyculture.com/wc/Germany-to-Jamaica/Gujaratis.html Can anybody follow this up with the local WT administrators in charge of the convention?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

JWdaughter: they roped off areas because if you were all crammed together in the stadium, they wanted to get THOSE shots for their photos, videos, etc. It looks more impressive to others if its crowded

Probably true.

But the shortage of seats made it weird, as a dude I didn't even know was sitting on my lap. It made me a bit uncomfortable.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Just ANOTHER reason not to go to those self congratulatory worship sessions for the fds.

• steve2
    steve2

Whoa! Slow down - you're going too fast...got to make the morning last.... At most this is "positive" discrimination of the PC kind. It can be an affront to the dominant culture to face some of its medicine of old. Ouch!

Look, this cries out for some investigative journalism.

When the "brother" told you to move, did you ask what the exact rationale was?

Did you directly tell him it smacked of racial segregation, and if so, what did he say in response? Did you say what happens if an Indian Witness is married to an English Witness? Must they share separate tables?

Did you hold your ground and say, "Thanks Sweet Cheeks, but I'm staying right here so I can fellowship with my beautiful Indian brethren?"

Or did you obediently move, albeit with a few mutters?

More relevantly, has anyone ever written to the organization about this "policy" and received a reply (or not)?

As for the Indian JWs, they did not appear to "appreciate" the special seating arrangement because they were outdoors.

Personally, I'd love it if people cleared the way for me to have special seating - but I suspect they'd place me well outside the sanctuaried tent...alone..... well at least I could have my own space

This thread is understandably high in emotion but it hurts for some hard-nosed investigation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit