Should some people actually be Witnesses?

by Apognophos 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It seems to me like certain people actually benefit from joining the religion. Primarily I'm thinking of ones with drug problems who are only able to quit because they are working towards baptism. Another example would be those who are always getting in fights or who have a big ego, and who learn to be pacifistic and humble as a Witness. Some people had a poor upbringing and have had to learn lessons later in life from the religion that were instilled in most of us by our parents, such as speaking and dressing well, and being considerate of others.

I know many will say, "It's still wrong to join a false religion, and there's lots of harm done by it too", but I'm not convinced that the religion is bad for everybody. It seems to work well enough for many JWs. The ones who end up here are usually the ones who it didn't work out for; the ones for whom the religion was not healthy and did not make them better people. You won't hear the success stories here because those people wouldn't come here.

You might say that the alternative is to go to rehab or read a self-help book. I would say in response that nothing is as comprehensive of an approach as joining a society where you're being monitored at all times. You have to "check into" the program twice a week or they will follow up to see why you're not there. You have constant homework assignments to refresh your mind on the principles you've been taught. You're given regular counsel on how to dress, groom, and speak.

For some of us, that sounds like an Orwellian nightmare, one that many of you gratefully left behind years ago. But for some people, might this actually not be an improvement in their circumstances? Can you blame them for wanting the structure, the 'institutional lifestyle'? And do you have any suggestions of equal effectiveness for someone with this kind of need? If not, are they perhaps better off as Witnesses and not knowing TTATT?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" And do you have any suggestions of equal effectiveness for someone with this kind of need? "

I agree that structure, being constantly monitored, the institutional lifestyle etc is just what is needed by some people, either because of a deeply ingrained drug habit or some other problem.

But they can find those things, that will benefit them , elsewhere, not in the JW- scam- religion-cult.

The difference with responsible places that give that kind of support, along with much superior guidance and therapy to what the JW's are able to offer, is that the poor suffering individual is eventually freed, from their addiction or other problem, and then free to pursue a proper, near normal life.

The JW's will condemn them to a life of institutionalised slavery to a Business posing as a religion.

They will never find their true potential, nor will they enjoy a normal life in any degree.

If you know someone in such dire straights, it is not any good waking them up to TTATT, first of all they need proper, professional help, and the therapies that go along with that, leaving the religion and its poison behind can come much later.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I know lots of people who deserve to be Witnesses. Abusers and killers. They deserve all the happiness that religion can provide.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

I agree with the OP. I wish that I didn't. But I do. For some people there life is better as a witness than it would be otherwise.

I.E. I know a young deaf man who became a dub. He now has tons of friends and is getting married to a girl from a really good witness family. They fully accept him as part of theIr family.

Its still a cult. But for some, life in might be better than life out.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

IMO the cost to innocent folks is too high to justify the slight good that might be done for a few former drug addicts. Especially when you consider that if the JWs didn't exist, the people that 'need' the cult would have numerous ways to 'find Jesus' that don't consist of joining a cult.

You don't burn your house down to get warm.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Even if I didn't simply fall away from your thoughts with my own thought that "Everybody deserves to know the real truth," I would still disagree.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach people to shun family members if they leave the religion yet they also encourage those same potential shunners to recruit their family members. So that is enough for me to feel that nobody should be a Witness.

The Governing Body and the doctrines encourage limiting outside goals and education, they teach a type of smugness to members to make them look down on other religious/spiritual people and certainly look down on people who don't subscribe to the book from Canaanite goat herders.

Their methods and literature use faulty logic and Bible snippets. Their methods and literature cause members to think in a faulty way, or rather to not think in any right way, but just to refer to their Watchtower library for how they should view any subject. Regardless of whether I agree or disagree with people on subjects from gun control to abortion to violent sports to wearing green on St. Patrick's Day, I appreciate those people who think for themselves on each subject.

• naazira
    naazira

I wouldn't wish this cult onto my worst enemy.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Many people who were never Jehovah's Witnesses have been able to give up drugs or drinking, it's not like that's the only route.

There are also other fundamentalist religions that would basically offer the same motivation and structure without the harsh shunning and burdensome requirements.

I don't think anyone is better off as a Jehovah's Witness.

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow

Guys : I can remember a time in the 60s and 70s, when there was a wonderful feeling of unity and brotherhood. It really did feel as though everyone in the truth was a member of my family. There was no doubt a lot of corruption going on which I never knew about, and that warmth and genuine love has been leaking out of the society like a spiritual entropy virus. Perhaps that's why we all feel so very passionately about this; because for a moment we really believed that we had something special.

Is it just a case of being like George Orwell's Animal Farm? Starts off with all animals being equal and ends up with some animals being more equal than others? Is it inevitable simply because humans are involved? I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but my heart still is Searching. I think I'll shut up now.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Religious conversion is recognised as being one of the least effective methods of getting a person off drugs and/or alcohol. (For example, see Felix Donelly's Big Boys Don't Cry).

The ones boasted about in Afake Awake and Botchtower Watchtower as having kicked their drug or alcohol habits because of "The Truth" nearly always got back on the stuff sooner rather than later. I actually learned to drink from the brother that "brought me into the Truth".

(Sorry to have to report that I proved to be a very able student!)

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit