Should some people actually be Witnesses?

by Apognophos 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've seen drug fiends transformed by the Witnesses. My gf grew up in Poland and Germany. His schooling came to an abrupt end when he kicked a nun. He was illiterate and smoked. When he studied, he learned to read. The tobacco disappeared. My relatives were servile. They were servile as Witnesses but field service gave them some skills. A decent public school education brings many more rewards. White Southerners truly believed that African slaves were better off under slavery. I wish that all humans knew to keep up certain boundaries. As a child, I knew that the creeps at Bethel saying a certain doctrine didn ot mean God set forth that doctrine. It was take my word. No, people took Hitler and Lenin's word.

• Violia
    Violia

It does not always work out so well for those with problems, issues. The jws can be cold-hearted and mean-spirited to those who are not raised like them. they can be very judgemental of those who are poor and or had poor unbringing. Many people with abuse issues find the jws abuse them even more saying things like they should forgive the abuser or they are just as evil . I think your idea for the thread is good BUT you are wrong about who prospers among jws. Middle class folks with problems will probably be ok. they look at the poor as just inferior people, regardless of color.

\They did not used to support AA and psychological counseling or even psych meds. Pitty the sick person.

sorry for typos, no spellcheck

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Thanks for the interesting responses so far.

...after watching family and congregation members with serious addictions over many years(Drugs, violence, sex, Alcohol), in almost every case these folks were steered away from medical help by the Borg. Within a few years they simply learned to live a double life within the BORG and the addiction continued.

Could it be that a Bible student's life is under closer examination while studying and preparing for baptism, and that once someone is in the religion, it's easier for them to hide their bad practices, or at least, harder for them to deal with their problems at that stage?

In other words, maybe it's the act of entrance into the religion that has the most benefit, and then, once someone is in, if their bad habits return or they develop new ones (perhaps as a coping mechanism for the stress that the religion is giving them), it becomes harmful for them because there's not enough of a motivation or an effective enough mechanism at that point to help them overcome their habits?

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse

Yes in my opinion, the JWs attract them because of the moral discipline( which is not unique to JWs; and its even a facade among JWs) . So it boils down to the person. If the person feels he needs such a structure and can deal with 8 men controlling and claimingn they are the only channel of communication from God, then its good for him. I know very good and sincere people in the WT who even though I'm sure do not know TTATT, do not submit to the control of the org and worship God in christian freedom.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Some people deserve to be Jehovah´s Witnesses, evil people that need to be punished for a crime for example.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hah!

...reminds me of an old Jewish saying; "If everyone went to college, who would clean the fish?"

So SURE, because clothing stores will always need mannequins!

• blondie
    blondie

People just exchange one problem for another.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

The structure and not having to think about what to choose, is available in other ways. Ways that no not hurt others. That is the big difference.

The borg causes hurt to others. If a person has any family or friends at all, then eventually the cult will cause the indoctrinated to emotionally hurt any of those who "see the light" about the borg, or sometimes even those who inadvertently get on the bad side of some elders.

The borg pushes the members to indoctrinate others, continuously. This is also not acceptable.

So No, I do not agree that the JW is the best way to get complete structure, and complete, self-adherent guidance in life. The borg does so with hurt to others.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

Shit is shit whichever way you look at it !

Next thing you know people will be villifying drunkards, druggies saying it helps them cope better with their problems, pain etc so it is beneficial to some. Serial killers, rapists who say it gives them some release (i have heard it said).

I totally disagree.SHIT IS SHIT WHICHEVER WAY YOU LOOK AT IT !

Zing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit