The limits of science.

by Seraphim23 51 Replies latest jw friends

• galaxie
    galaxie

Was the topic not about limitations ie does science have limits. Rather than science itself.

What in humanistic terms does not have limits?

We are finite creatures our only conduit to understanding and use of scientific discovery, answers, theory, argument and conclusion is our limited intelligence ie brain.

No one as far as I'm aware claims to know it all.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Science does not really bother with why because why not? This is not science; this is philosophy.

• trebor
    trebor

Until then, science should keep searching for answers just in case answers can actually be within our grasp. They should adopt a motto like "The real truth doesn't care what you believe."

Neil deGrasse Tyson has a well put spin on that: "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

The fact that we are finite should be our catalyst to discover as much as we can about ourselves the universe and how everything works. Push our minds to whatever that limit might be. In order to do that we must question everything, scrutinize everything. No one will ever know it all but that doesnt mean that we shouldnt try. To throw our hands up and say "God did it" is giving up on the hard work to discover new things.

There is a limit to what we can learn about god. Its been repeated over and over. The bible is only so many pages long. There are not any new revelations about any god or prophecies. All theists can do is wait. Wait for Jesus, wait for Allah or Krishna or whoever.

Imagine if instead of trying to revive a person with CPR knowing they could survive we chose to say, "well its god's time". Imagine if people throught history relied on "god has the answers" or "only God knows"or any other trite proclamation to every mystery we had. What kind of world would we have?

It was because of this quest for knowledge beyond scripture or theology and beyond the trite explanations that we have everything we have today.

Science does not wait. It pursues. It pushes forth. It may not always be correct but, in time, it corrects itself.

• Seraphim23
  • Seraphim23
  • M*A*S*H
  • Seraphim23
  • Seraphim23
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I am always puzzled by the way some people talk aboout "science" as if it was some kind of James Bond Villain.

I think this is one of my all-time favorite JWN quotes! Thanks COFTY.

I honestly think the reason science is regarded as "some kind of James Bond Villan" has much to do with the ignorance of the media who are reporting on science.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit