Theredeemer

My last post was for millie

• millie210
    millie210

Thats ok with me OnTheWayOut.

it was good enough to read twice!

• millie210
    millie210

Remember, even Jesus Christ of the bible ask/needed funding/donations.

Thats a very good point Theredeemer.

I seem to sound negative but I honestly dont feel that way inside.

Im just not going to leap out of the boat (JWs) and grab the first thing that floats.

I dont need a hero. I dont need a place to put my trust. I just need to know what is really true.

Everything has its drawbacks. Even science.

I am nowhere near ready to place my trust in science until I see a compelling reason.

So far, every reason I see FOR it- an equal and opposite reason could be made against it.

Thats ok. Im going to keep reading.

I just really want to know, thats all.

• cofty
    cofty

I am nowhere near ready to place my trust in science until I see a compelling reason

I don't understand. Science is just a method. It works. Visit a modern hospital and observe how well it works.

Science does not ask for our uncritical trust or faith. If you can prove that something signifcant is wrong they will give you a Nobel prize.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Sorry cofty. I thought in the spirit of scientific discovery you might have discovered the video for yourself. Anyhow it is a little video about religion and science presented by Professor Russell Stannard who holds the position of Professor Emeritus of Physics at the Open University. The OU is one of the world's largest universities founded in the UK.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Metaphysics (just incase you needed a name for what we are talking about)

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Science often does a good job of explaining how. However some of us also want to know "why".

• cofty
    cofty

Why what?

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Theology answers that question with a simple statement: Because God wanted to. There. Done. Close your textbooks.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Science often does a good job of explaining how. However some of us also want to know "why".

For the types of "why" questions that I suspect you're talking about (why is the universe here, etc) science has an answer. The answer to "why did x happen" is "because x can happen." Just because you find it unsatisfying doesn't invalidate the answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit