The limits of science.

by Seraphim23 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

I think thats what theology does: it over extends the metaphor. Maybe religion is nothing but a bunch of metaphors that got over extended.

• millie210
    millie210

I am always amazed at how readily some trust science.

There is very little "science" that gets pursued or published outside the world of academia.

Scientists devote their life to a subject that is dependant on grants and universities in order for them to research.

The beast must be fed.

The politics and jockeying for position that go on behind the scenes is incredible.

There are very few scientists who can even operate outside this very controlled ($$$) world.

So there are some facts. I like facts.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Care to provide the proof of your "facts".

• Seraphim23
  • cofty
    cofty

I am always puzzled by the way some people talk aboout "science" as if it was some kind of James Bond Villain.

It is a way of investigating the world and discovering stuff. You could do the work and become an expert yourself if you have the time and ability.

Science works.

You are typing on a device that was beyond our wildest dreams 30 years ago. You are communicating with hundreds of people all over the world in an instant.

The sick are being healed, the hungry are being fed, superstition is in retreat.

Being cynical about science on an internet forum is like preaching vegitarianism while munching on a hamburger.

Serpahim - Posting videos with no explanation is not cool.

• millie210
    millie210

I am assuming you meant me even though you didnt say so Theredeemer...

and no, I dont care to!

I was in fact, willing to edit my post and change the word "facts" to the word "thoughts".

but I was too late to edit.

Darn.

I grew up on a university campus. Had a parent who worked In the biology department.

I remember all that went on.

So no. No facts (and no arguement). I just remember how everything depended on funding.

Its interesting who does the funding.

Im sorry for sounding so pompous.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Science will never satisfy everyone, with people insisting on keeping God and miracles in the equations. Personally, I think it is up to believers to catch up with science and advance some realistic theories about how their god came to be or always existed.

Until then, science should keep searching for answers just in case answers can actually be within our grasp. They should adopt a motto like "The real truth doesn't care what you believe."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Science will never satisfy everyone, with people insisting on keeping God and miracles in the equations. Personally, I think it is up to believers to catch up with science and advance some realistic theories about how their god came to be or always existed.

Until then, science should keep searching for answers just in case answers can actually be within our grasp. They should adopt a motto like "The real truth doesn't care what you believe."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Damned Starbucks and their poor wifi. Sorry for the repeats.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

No need to apologize.

Your negative view may be more towards scientists rather the science itself.

I think Billy Corgan is a douche bag, but I love his music.

The fact that it takes money to research and sometimes politics and douche bag scientists are involved does'nt devalue the science it backs or discoveres.

Remember, even Jesus Christ of the bible ask/needed funding/donations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit