The limits of science.

by Seraphim23 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Seraphim23 - I agree with the sentiments you express in your last post. Fraz

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Thank you Frazzled UBM I appreciate that.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Science only exists as a result of our brain processes.

Our brains only exist because of ??... now there's the rub.

Science seeks to answer a question using the same processes that created the subject.

Anything which has limitations must by default put limitation on its influences ie our brains influence science, the reasoning power no matter how intelligent we are is not inexhaustible.

The physical make up of the brain governs our ultimate understanding.

As far as I know there is no outside influence on our brains to give us turbo power.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Theories in the scientific sense. How many times has this definition been explained on this site?

Theory- noun:a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena:

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

your stance is akin to someone who's shopping for a ladder, and keeps complaining that they might one day live in a house that's got a lightbulb that would still be out of reach while on any particular ladder. They then go off in search of a magic carpet that can fly you to any height instead.

Many theists want to see their religion as compatible with science and complain when there appears to be some sort of 'religion vs science' debate. The problem is, though, that religion is the polar opposite of science. Science presents evidence and draws conclusions, whereas religion relies on blind faith.

In short, I wish you the best of luck with your search for a magic carpet.

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

It takes years even decades and centuries for scientists to establish a theory. See the theory of gravity and its origins. They are tested, scrutinized and bound by many different laws.

A religion or theology can be established in seconds with little or no scrutiny. They are based on ideas, lies or schizophrenia. All you need is a group of uneducated, crazy or ignorant people to buy into it, create a fuss and soon others will think "well they all joined, I should look into it." Thats why we all were part of a crazy ass religion.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Thanks OneEyedJoe for you good wishes. I hope the same for your worldview carpet.

Galaxie, loved your thought!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Thank you, but I'm happy with my ladder. Turns out it's an extension ladder that's getting taller all the time!

• galaxie
    galaxie

One eyed joe...just a thuoght.Have you considered the material your ladder may be made of...there's always a limit.

Nothing is inexhaustible.

Best wishes

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Lets not overextend the metaphore. The point is, one is solid and proven, the other resides only in a land of fantasy and wishful thinking.

There will always be some problems that are mathematically impossible to solve, but barring that, I don't think there's any practical benefit to debating the limits of science, since we've certainly not reached them, and it doesn't seem likely to happen in our grand children's lifetime (or, as defined by the WTS, in 'this generation'). Asserting that god must exist simply because someone's hypothesized a limit to what science can review is asinine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit