Corpus Linguistics - Text Analysis of All Watchtower Publications since 1800's

by objectivetruth 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

But what does all this mean in laymans terms ?

Is this a tool for the average Joe ? Jane ? whos left the borg.?

Sorry for my ignorance , others here see it as a great tool , for further exposing the WT Society , I hope your right .

smiddy

• yesidid
    yesidid

Thank you

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Amazing. When are you coming to Sydney with your computer so we can catch up.

A couple of things I'm interested in off the top of my head.

The occurrence of 1914 compared to 1915 between 1910 and 1920. Russell was unsure about the zero 0 and hedged his bets by saying it could be either year that the gentile times ended. I wonder if there was a pattern of change.

When did Jehovah become more popular than Jesus? I think this was a Rutherford change, and it would be interesting to see the number of occurrences of both words over the last 100 plus years.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

What application are you using? I use nVivo 10.0 for some qualitative research I am conducting (unrelated to the Watchtower).

• millie210
    millie210

Im with Smiddy.

I understand that this is a great too but I am going to need somwone to interpet for me.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

This could help uncover their mind control techiques/propaganda

Way to go

• suavojr
    suavojr

great work! marking

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Interesting idea, but I suggest doing some more filtering before blasting the forum with walls of text. Besides running the lines through a dictionary to make sure that corrupted text is omitted, you can also omit commonly-used words. For instance we don't need to know how many "they"s are in the literature, but the number of "Jehovah"s versus "Jesus"es is interesting.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Do a text analysis of just titles themes, and sub headings to get the essence of their message.

• never a jw
    never a jw

JWFacts

Between 1904 and 1917 (first and last year 1915 is mentioned respectively) 1915 appears 53 times and 1914 appears 174 times in the watchtower magazine. I did this research more than 2 years ago. I am pretty sure these totals include only relevant data to our study of prophecy of the end of the gentile times. It is precisely in the WT of Oct of 1917 when the writer says that Abraham did not take his inheritance in 1915, but he will take it in 1925. That must have been the end of Russell's end-of-world prophecy and the beginning of Rutherford's.

Hey Paul,

PS: I promise you will have your translation of this generation soon. I just needed a Spanish WT library. I have it know, rather old but not too old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit