Ferguson Shooting (Is my thinking on this all wrong.......)

by out4good3 229 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I think comparisons with the KKK are a little inflamatory given that this situation seems to be racially charged.

Including these makes it easier for people to object to what may otherwise be perfectly valid arguments.

• Violia
    Violia

I'm not trying to be inflamatory but if they don't get the verdict they want, what would you call burning, rioting, killing?

• designs
    designs

the 'They' oh you mean the Negroes.

• Simon
    Simon

Please don't ascribe words to other people's comments that they haven't said.

We don't need people intentionally trying to rile things up like this.

• designs
    designs

Wry humor, point taken.

Texas R. Senator Donna Campbell introduced legislation to allow businesses to discriminate against LGBT peoples. Only one major Party in America is consistently introducing legislation to discriminate.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

The "they" Violia talks about would obviously be they who do the rioting, burning, looting, etc. regardless of race.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Interesting article yesterday about the most dangerous cities in America. http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/11/11/the-most-dangerous-cities-in-america-4/

• designs
    designs

Do you believe if the youth had been a preppy white guy a little strung out on drugs and causing mischief and shouting and screaming in the street he would have had multiple bullets put in his head and body as the solution.

• Simon
    Simon

I doubt a preppy white kid causing mischief would be trying to beat up a cop in his car but if he was and it turned out the evidence showed that he did in fact continue to threaten the cop and was shot as a result then I doubt very much there would be as much media attention about it, streets full of white people or any riots. Most people would just mutter "idiot" before changing the channel.

The used of "preppy" seems to be an attempt to stack the deck somewhat by including wealth as well as race. I think how the police treat you is more about wealth than race but due in no small measure to their experience dealing with them. You're trying to suggest that the police shoot black people for trivial reasons and at the same time won't shoot white people whatever they do. I think it's a rediculous claim and isn't backed up by any evidence.

But the whole "what if he'd been white" is irrelevant. He wasn't. All that matters are the facts of the case which we won't know for certain unless and until they are released. There is a jury and a process.

• designs
    designs

I think you don't fully grasp or appreciate the rise of the Confederate mentality in this country. A recent Salon.com has an article addressing this issue.

Ed Driscoll had an interview with Jimmy Carter on this topic in 2009.

R. Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, a cousin, epitomizes those ideals.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit