Jesus was a false prophet?

by opusdei1972 78 Replies latest watchtower bible

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power. (Mark 9:1)

When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes - Matthew 10:23

24 “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light , 25 and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers that are in the heavens will be shaken. 26 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27 And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest end of the earth to the farthest end of heaven....... 30 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. (Mark 13:24-27,30)

These verses clearly show that Jesus believed that the kingdom of God together with his second parouxia would come in his generation, and not after that. If all these things did not happen in those days, we have no choice, Jesus was a false prophet. It is pointless to separate the events of Jerusalem's destruction (70 AD) with those of the second coming, because they are conected as we read above. Unless Jesus did not say the above words and Mark misquoted Peter (if Papias told us the truth about Mark's authorship).

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

This 'generation' passage has caused all sorts of idle speculation. Which generation is it referring to? When will The Tribulation happen? When will Jesus reappear? My advice is to forget all about it. Whichever 'generation' it actually is talking about, it's still just a made-up story. Jesus ain't coming back, folks. The Great tribulation story is just a myth. So no need to ponder and speculate, trying to discern what it 'really means'. The Witnesses just keep this scary story alive in order to control the 'sheep'. Don't take ANY of it seriously.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Which generation is it referring to? When will The Tribulation happen?

But Jesus's words were clear as we read. It was his generation and the Tribulation is conected with Jerusalem's destruction:

1 As He was going out of the temple, one of His disciples *said to Him, “Teacher, behold what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!” 2 And Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left upon another which will not be torn down.” (Mark 1:1-2)

So, if Jesus did not come, he misled people.

• prologos
    prologos

the only useful value of this story is to prove wt writers wrong.

they deserve no pity though, for having used all these useless words to manipulate people.

• BucketShopBill
    BucketShopBill

The "Transfiguration", that's who saw the Kingdom of God. They saw the Kingdom of God, saw Elisha and Moses speaking with Jesus Christ.

Eusbebious quoted the First Century Church Father who backed up the Jerusalem Disciples fleeing to Pela, the Bible is filled with people who miss it's point. I was tricked by the Watchtower, they are the ones who put this in our mind. If Jesus was really a crook, he could have said "My Kingdom is Spiritual Kingdom" and nobody could discredit that.

Jesus said his Kingdom would be a Earthly Kingdom, as shown in Act 1:3, 6-7 it's obvious he was spoke of a future kingdom. His illustrations constantly told his followers they would have to wait. He tell's Peter what manner of death he is going to suffer, same with Paul and the Apostles and disciples came to the wrong conclusions.

"To these He also presented Himself alive, after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them over a period of forty days, and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God . . . And so when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, “Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority . . . (NASB) Acts 1:3, 6-7

"

19 (He said this to show the kind of death—by crucifixion—by which Peter was going to honour God.) Then Jesus said to him, “You must follow me.”

20-21 Then Peter turned round and noticed the disciple whom Jesus loved following behind them. (He was the one who had his head on Jesus’ shoulder at supper and had asked, “Lord, who is the one who is going to betray you?”) So he said, “Yes, Lord, but what about him?”

22 “If it is my wish,” returned Jesus, “for him to stay until I come, is that your business, Peter? You must follow me.”

23 This gave rise to the saying among the brothers that this disciple would not die. Yet, of course, Jesus did not say, “He will not die,”, but simply, “If it is my wish for him to stay until I come, is that your business?

All the above was written by an eye-witness

24-25 Now it is this same disciple who is hereby giving his testimony to these things and has written them down. We know that his witness is reliable. Of course, there are many other things which Jesus did, and I suppose that if each one were written down in detail, there would not be room in the whole world for all the books that would have to be written."

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Prophet,Jesus is so far more than a prophet! He is the only begotton son of Almighty God, and anyone who follows him will have eternal life.

He was the WORD in the beginning of creation with God!

There is only one secure future and that is believing in Jesus Christ.

Acts chapter 1 is a testimony for Jesus and proves Jesus past prophecy came true. Thousands of people heard then repented. They believed and built their faith up daily.

I think Ezekiel prophecy has not been fullfilled yet. I doubt very much that Jesus earthly kingdom has been fullfilled.

I agree with BucketShopBill Jesus said his Kingdom would be a Earthly Kingdom, as shown in Act 1:3, 6-7 it's obvious he was spoke of a future kingdom. His illustrations constantly told his followers they would have to wait.

Unlike WT teachings, today his followers are waiting without worry.

• kaik
    kaik

Jews certainly think he was.

• processor
    processor

NONE of his prophecies has been fulfilled, at least in the way that his listeners must have understood them.

So the definition 'false prophet' fits him ...

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Jesus was nothing more than the Sun and then Osiris and then other older gods like Baal Marduk etc. He was not real and never existed. The whole idea was the same as the oldest stories in the oldest cultures, God is usurped by a younger god one of his creations that rises up defeats the dragon and get rewarded by becoming a major god himself.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If you read the best modern N.T scholars they nearly all point out that "Matthew" was written way after the events of 70 C.E

So why did the writer/writers of Matthew put these words in to the mouth of Jesus ?

What agenda (was he) were they following ?

It would seem that the huge blow of losing the Temple and its uniting effect was the main spur, by making it seem as though Jesus fulfilled "messianic" prophecies from the Hebrew scriptures these guys could keep their Jewish culture and faith going via the new Jesus Cult they were fashioning.

The talk of the generation in Matthew was the same as the WT/JW.Org constant harping on about the imminence of the End now, it keeps the Cult going.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit