Just Curious About Something

by EmptyInside 33 Replies latest jw friends

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Sorry,couldn't think of a better title for this post,without it being long.

I was thinking this morning,if ex-JWs, who were born into the group less likely to join another religion after leaving. vs. The Witnesses who belonged to a church before joining the religion.

From my own prespective,being raised a Witness,I have no intention of joining any religion. And it seems that born-ins are less likely to join a religion after leaving the cult.

In my own experience,I think it's religious burn-out to tell the truth. Plus,I doubt everything and am agnostic now.

I do have a friend who is going to a Buddhist temple,but I don't think she even believes in God,just likes the fellowship there.

• millie210
    millie210

I think JWs have pretty much ruined religion for me.

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

I wasn't a born-in JW.

I was 'searching', got contacted just before my 19th birthday, baptized 18 months later.

Exited quickly after 22 years.

I cannot forsee a time when I will ever belong to another religious group.

I'm currently very open-minded about who/what's 'out there'.

I'm still searching for spiritual knowledge/awareness.

But this time, I accept that I'll never find an ultimate 'true religion'.

TF1

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, it's an interesting question. As a born-in who was always scientifically-minded and not particularly spiritual (not into the warm fuzzy aspects of the religion, just the principles of justice, etc.), learning TTATT simply freed me up to be my natural self. My natural state is not to believe in anything that isn't fact-based. I don't think it has much to do with burnout, I just like science and have no interest in "finding the answers" in a mystical sense. I'm not a philosophical person and am only concerned about the brass tacks in life.

I suspect that those who were born with a desire to seek out answers to life, the universe and everything were drawn to the JWs, and then when they realized the religion was bogus, many continued searching. I know of a serial religionist (a religion addict) who has tried practically every religion in the world. He always moves on after a few years.

By contrast, born-ins have more variation in personality type; they're not their convert parents, they're only based on their parents' genes, and grew up in different circumstances. So they are less likely to be naturally religious than people who sought out the religion in the first place.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I'm almost born in. Mother came in when I was very young. Grandfather was in when I was born.

I have no desire to be part of a religion, however, I'm seeking answers, and if I find a religion that I'm convinced has the answers, I will join it. I'd rather just find some individuals who can show me truth and have discussions and maybe some association with them.

• This is my tigersuit
    This is my tigersuit

no offense to anyone, but we hate religion now. its probably good for some people, but as for us, NOPE. i am also agnostic.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I have read that 16% of people in the USA leave their religion but of that 16 only 3% change to a new one the rest become atheists, agnostics evolutionists, or just don't care. So you're not alone..

• JeffT
    JeffT

I tinkered with a number of religions before becoming an unchurched Christian in 1972 (was 21). I started studying with JW's about a year later and was baptized in 1973. My wife's story is similar, although she had a firmer background with main stream churches. When we left in 1989 we joined an independent church which we attended (and my wife worked there) until 2009. After a fracas over her job, we left and have not been back to any church since. I'm still a Christian, but feel no need to adhere to, or attend, any particular church.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Born in here, Watchtower does a great job of poisoning the well. Once you realize they are fake too, I had little desire to tie myself into another church.

If God is up there, he's gotta be laughing his ass off at all of the people running into buildings over and over to constantly tell him that he's "da man".

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was thinking this morning,if ex-JWs, who were born into the group less likely to join another religion after leaving. vs. The Witnesses who belong a church before joining the religion.

This has proven true for me. I was open at first to attending another church. I thought about the big Xtian super churches, just couldn't bring myself to go. Drove by a inviting small Catholic church on my way to early morning walks...doors open, warm glowing lights at 6AM. Eventually my first step into a non JW church service would be in this Catholic church on a Xmas eve evening service, about 11PM, really just out of curiosity. It was lovely, peaceful, friendly, open.

The next year I went to the same service is a Unitarian church with some other exJW's. Same thing...warm, inviting, beautiful, friendly. As we were greeting by the robed priest (are they priests? dunno) I told him the "exJW contingent had arrived." He just laughed and shook our hands. I understand that church is attended by lots of scientists and atheists, JPL is a local employer in the area.

After being a JW for 45 years, I feel I have had enough "religion" for 10 lifetimes and have no interest in it at all. I found I don't need it...which was a surprise to me. I do like the tradition and formality of a celebration from time to time, funeral, wedding, Xmas eve...for some reason. I have no idea why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit