Will the JW.Org Site make a difference ?

by Phizzy 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• millie210
    millie210

I dont think it is going to make much of a difference to the public at large.

For JWs however, it has renewed their sense that they are progressive and original.

That will last until they see that the worlds opinion is still as ho hum as ever.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Our hall has someone. prob soon to become publisher. he requested study thru website. Young,educated,good looking. Exactly the type of person you would think would have nothing to do with the Borg.

That happened in our hall a couple of years ago, right when I was starting to wake up. The guy became a publisher, even went in service with him. I couldn't understand why he would join. But, soon after becoming a publisher, he "began to have doubts" and moved out of the territory. That was the end of him being a publisher.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wish they would have pulled the web site stunt back in the 1985-88 period, when I and many others were lured into the cancer through the Suffer Forever book. Back then, what was in that book was what I had to go by. I could have gone to a library, but hunting for cross information on the religion or its doctrines would have been a nightmare. Others could give opinions, but the washtowel would always claim that Satan was trying to dissuade me from the truth (a lie--the washtowel was not the truth). That stunt worked because no one wanted to make Satan happy that was legitimately studying that blasphemous religion.

Now, you have the web site. I get a Washtowel Teach book in pdf form off the site. Now, I can go online to see what dirt there is on the religion, during the same session. I can even get dirt on the whole xian platform itself, and the whole LIE-ble. In the time I wasted going through the Suffer Forever book and deciding to give it a fair chance (one source), I could have looked at 20 different sources including some pro-Satanism sources. I could decide that this is not true xian after all, or that the advice they are giving is maliciously bad (cutting back on work when hyperinflation is looming). I could watch a video, then do some research as to whether following the advice is wise or not in the same session. I could decide to become a Satanist, or if I was a little less adventurous a Muslim or atheist.

Not to mention, where can you have on one platform the official washtowel source, many apostate forums and sites, links to Crisis of Conscience, sites promoting different forms of spiritual or practical Satanism, a good source of facts about full Judaism, a good source for information about Islam, and as many xian sources as you care to research? For sure, I wish I would have had that information readily available from the same source (the Internet) when I studied to be a jokehovian witless. Their "fair chance" would have ended with one mouse click.

• Bells
    Bells

I cannot believe the 'statements' made from young people in regards to evolution vs creation:

“Imagine that someone told you that there was an explosion at a printing plant and that the ink spattered onto the walls and ceilings and formed an unabridged dictionary . Would you believe it? How much more unbelievable is it that everything in the orderly universe came about as a result of a random big bang?”

“Humans have qualities far beyond what is necessary for mere survival. In fact, we care for sick people and help those who are less fortunate. Why would we do that if evolution —with its ‘survival of the fittest’ motto —were true?”

“If you were walking through the forest and discovered a beautiful log cabin, would you think: ‘How fascinating! The trees must have fallen in just the right way to make this house.’ Of course not! It’s just not reasonable. So why should we believe that everything in the universe just happened to come about?”

Wow. just wow. I am not convinced in creation after reading JW.ORG. I am however, convinced that the 'Young people asked' for this article are idiots.

This is just embarrassing - you'd think they might have put in a little more effor when they are having such a huge marketing campaign around the website!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Exactly Bells, that is why I still stick by my Prophecy in the O.P, overall the Site will not improve recruitment.

The GB and the Writng Department are of the opinion that everyone is as ill-informed as they are, people are not as un-educated as they used to be, the Media in general ,and the Internet particularly, expose people to many points of view, and that allows people to think, and to make judgements.

Judgements based not on an old-fashioned, parochial view of life, but on how things are now, and on up to date knowledge.

There will always be a few who are suckered in, whatever methods they use, but JW.Org is not going to increase the flow of new recruits significantly over the next ten years, and as the outflow of JW's is increasing, more and more pressure will be upon the Borg financially.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

"Over 900,000 hits per day!.

These numbers are shere trickery.

A 'web hit' means little and is not a unique visitor.

Technical definition of a hit

Each file sent to a browser by a web server is an individual hit.

Technical definition of a pageview

A pageview is each time a visitor views a page on your website, regardless of how many hits are generated. Pages are comprised of files. Every image in a page is a separate file. When a visitor looks at a page (a pageview), they may see numerous images, graphics, pictures etc. and generate multiple hits.

For example, if you have a page with 10 pictures, then a request to a server to view that page generates 11 hits (10 for the pictures, and one for the html file). A page view can contain hundreds of hits. This is the reason that we measure page views and not hits.

Conclusion: hits are not a reliable way to measure website traffic.

So.. a single elder viewing jw.org on his Ipad in one hour just by looking at 10 different pages can generate 100's of hits. How many elders are on jw.org?

Traffic to jw.org is estimated to be decreasing within the last 3 months. 30% of visitors are located in the USA and Mexico alone.

This months visitors were 866,986 a drop of 4%. According to the web stats, actual visitors to jw.org are actually dropping each month.

The Site was launched at Monday, 27 October 1997 and is 16 years and 10 months old. For a 16 year old site it's really not doing so well.

• nugget
    nugget

I find th emphasis on JW.org uncomfortable. As a witness growing up there was alot of emphaisis on the importance of God's unique name and how it should be respected. This emphaisis on initials and websites reduces this name to an initial. It seems cheap and disrespectful. It is as though the name is an embarrassment to them now and by using a single initial they provide some distance. They are not Jehovah's Witnesses they are JWs. This means nothing and stands for nothing.

The organisation I left though bad at the time has got worse in the short time I have been away. Yes it is useful strap line and an easy way to give witnesses the idea they are doing something but in terms of the core principle of being a witness to gods name then it is nowhere near it.

• steve2
    steve2

Given that there are close to 8,000,000 active JWs, 900,000 hits daily onJW.org is possible. The convenient mistake though is to assume those hits are primarily due to worldly people's interest.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Dismember - our resident interweb techy guru!

Thanks for explaining all that about the hits/visitors. It's dead handy having someone know what they're talking about!

• Raton
    Raton

I go to their site to find the latest lies/changes. I hate that they are counting me in a positive way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit