WTS one step closer to "1984" - JW literature rewritten in online versions

by sir82 29 Replies latest jw friends

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The article online is very different. In particular, the last two paragraphs.

Full article - online version

FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE

When answering the apostles’ question concerning his future presence and the conclusion of the existing system of things, Jesus Christ included a parable, or illustration, dealing with a “faithful and discreet slave.” The faithful slave’s master appointed him over his domestics, or household servants, to provide them their food. If approved at his master’s coming (evidently from some trip), the slave would be rewarded by being placed over all the master’s belongings.—Mt 24:3, 45-51.

In the parallel illustration at Luke 12:42-48, the slave is called a steward, that is, a house manager or administrator, one placed over servants, though he is himself a servant. Such a position was often filled in ancient times by a faithful slave. (Compare Ge 24:2; also the case of Joseph at Ge 39:1-6.) In Jesus’ illustration the steward is first assigned only to the supervision and timely dispensation of the food supplies to the master’s body of attendants, or servants, and later, because of his faithful and discreet handling of this ministry, his assignment is widened out to embrace supervision of all the master’s holdings. Regarding the identification of the “master” (Gr., ky′ri·os, also rendered “lord”), Jesus had already shown that he himself occupied such a position toward his disciples, and they addressed him as such on occasion. (Mt 10:24, 25; 18:21; 24:42; Joh 13:6, 13) The question remains concerning the application of the figure of the faithful and discreet slave, or steward, and what his dispensing food to the domestics represents.

“Slave” is in the singular. This, however, does not require that the “slave” prefigure only one particular person who would be so privileged. The Scriptures contain examples of the use of a singular noun to refer to a collective group, such as when Jehovah addressed the collective group of the Israelite nation and told them: “You are my witnesses [plural], . . . even my servant [singular] whom I have chosen.” (Isa 43:10) The “antichrist” is shown to be a collective group made up of individual antichrists. (1Jo 2:18; 2Jo 7) Similarly, the “slave” is composite. It was to be appointed in the time of the end as a channel to give out spiritual “food at the proper time.” (Mt 24:3, 45; Lu 12:42) In the first century, Jesus set a pattern for how spiritual food would be dispensed in the Christian congregation. Just as he had distributed literal food to the crowds through the hands of a few disciples, spiritual food was to be provided through the hands of a few. (Mt 14:19; Mk 6:41; Lu 9:16) Jesus trained the apostles for the role they would have after Pentecost 33 C.E. as a channel in dispensing spiritual food. They were later joined by other elders to serve as a governing body in order to settle issues and to direct the preaching and teaching of the Kingdom good news. (Ac 2:42; 8:14; 15:1, 2, 6-29; 22:17-19) After the death of the apostles, a great apostasy set in. But in the time of the end—in keeping with the pattern he set in the first century of feeding many through the hands of a few—Jesus selected a small group of spirit-anointed men to serve as “the faithful and discreet slave,” to prepare and dispense spiritual food during his presence.

The domestics are all those who belong to the Christian congregation, both the anointed and the “other sheep,” who are fed spiritual food. (Joh 10:16) This includes the individual members making up “the faithful and discreet slave,” since they too are recipients of the food dispensed. Those who make up the faithful slave will receive expanded responsibility if they are found faithful at the master’s promised arrival. When they receive their heavenly reward and become corulers with Christ, he will appoint them over “all his belongings.” Along with the rest of the 144,000, they will share Christ’s vast heavenly authority.—Mt 24:46, 47; Lu 12:43, 44.

Full article - WT Library CD 2013

FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE
    When answering the apostles’ question concerning his future presence and the conclusion of the existing system of things, Jesus Christ included a parable, or illustration, dealing with a “faithful and discreet slave” and an “evil slave.” The faithful slave’s master appointed him over his domestics, or household servants, to provide them their food. If approved at his master’s coming (evidently from some trip), the slave would be rewarded by being placed over the master’s entire property.—Mt 24:3, 45-51.

In the parallel illustration at Luke 12:42-48, the slave is called a steward, that is, a house manager or administrator, one placed over servants, though he is himself a servant. Such a position was often filled in ancient times by a faithful slave. (Compare Ge 24:2; also the case of Joseph at Ge 39:1-6.) In Jesus’ illustration the steward is first assigned only to the supervision and timely dispensation of the food supplies to the master’s body of attendants, or servants, and later, because of his faithful and discreet handling of this ministry, his assignment is widened out to embrace supervision of all the master’s holdings. Regarding the identification of the “master” (Gr., ky′ri·os, also rendered “lord”), Jesus had already shown that he himself occupied such a position toward his disciples, and they addressed him as such on occasion. (Mt 10:24, 25; 18:21; 24:42; Joh 13:6, 13) The question remains concerning the application of the figure of the faithful and discreet slave, or steward, and what his dispensing food to the domestics represents.

Commentators often view this as a general exhortation to any and all who have individual positions of responsibility in the Christian congregation. The requirement of faithfulness in discharging responsibility clearly applies to all such. (Compare Mt 25:14-30; Tit 1:7-9.) Yet, the impossibility of each and every one of these individuals being placed over “all” his master’s belongings at the same time, the time of the master’s arrival, is obvious. This, however, does not require that the “slave” prefigure only one particular person who would be so privileged. The Scriptures contain examples of the use of a singular noun to refer to a collective group, as when Jehovah addressed the collective group of the Israelite nation and told them: “You are my witnesses [plural], . . . even my servant [singular] whom I have chosen.” (Isa 43:10) Similarly, the figure of the unfaithful “evil slave” could apply to a collective group in the same way that “the antichrist” is shown to be a class made up of individual antichrists.—1Jo 2:18; 2Jo 7.

Those forming the Christian congregation are referred to by the apostle Paul as “members of the household of God” (Eph 2:19; 1Ti 3:15), and the same apostle shows that ‘faithful stewardship’ among such household members involved the dispensing of spiritual truths on which those becoming believers would ‘feed.’ (1Co 3:2, 5; 4:1, 2; compare Mt 4:4.) Whereas this was a prime responsibility of those appointed as ‘shepherds’ of the flock (1Pe 5:1-3), the apostle Peter shows that such stewardship of the divine truths was actually committed to all the ‘chosen ones,’ all the spirit-anointed ones, of the Christian congregation. (1Pe 1:1, 2; 4:10, 11) Thus the entire anointed Christian congregation was to serve in a united stewardship, dispensing such truths. At the same time the individual members making up such composite body, or the “domestics” making up the “house” of God (Mt 24:45; Heb 3:6; Eph 2:19), would also be recipients of the “food” dispensed. (Heb 5:11-14; compare 1Co 12:12, 19-27.) Expanded responsibility would result from faithfulness maintained until the master’s promised ‘arrival.’—Mt 24:46, 47; Lu 12:43, 44.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I got rid of most of my WTS library and don't regret it one bit. All it did was take up shelf space that should have gone to more deserving material. These revisions are part and parcel of an organization that has no love or respect for the truth, so we shouldn't be surprised at this latest example. I have the 2007 Watchtower Library DVD and that is good enough. There re-writes are bad enough, but this sin is compounded by the fact that the WTS has refused to allow the reading and examination of any publications produced prior to the year 2000 in its online library. That refusal should have raised hackles with some of the rank-and-file. If it did, their voices were muffled if not silenced outright. The bottom line in all of this for me is that I'm out and will never, ever have anything to do with the WTS again.

Quendi

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

This is unethical by anyone's standards.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Sir82: I'm sorry I did not meet your standards of proof.

Didn't mean to offend. It's just that it's not possible to tell what was changed from what you posted.

At any rate, thank you for bringing this example of Orwellian revisionist history to our attention.

Here are another couple of examples you might appreciate:

leaving_quietly, Thank you for posting enough to compare. They are very, very different.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

They started doing this in the 70s with the multi-year bound volumes. They would simply omit references they didn't like anymore.

Got worse with the CDs- they could omit AND re-write.

Perfected with online - they can now "adjust" the minute someone online (like on JWN) catches them in a lie.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Sanitized history a la Joseph Stalin:

Stalinist Revisionist HistoryStalin without Nikolai Yezhov

Nikolai Yezhov walking with Stalin in the top photo from the 1930s. Yezhov was killed in 1940. Following his execution, Yezhov was edited out of the photo by Soviet censors. Such retouching was a common occurrence during Stalin's rule.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Compare an actual photo of the stage of the Cedar Point convention (from Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy, page 299) with the re-enactment from the DVD: Jehovah's Witnesses - Faith In Action, Part 1.

You will notice that at the actual convention, the hall and stage were framed by the US star spangled banner flag. Yet this detail has been left out from the DVD.

Faith in Action!

Re-enactment

Notice how this is "explained" by the WTBTS in the the 2011 Yearbook under the heading "Tracing All Things With Accuracy":

In summary, the Writing Department insists on using only material that is accurate and truthful, even regarding seemingly insignificant details. As a result, "the faithful and discreet slave" can consistently supply spiritual food that brings honor to "the God of truth".

As JWFacts commented in his thread, Watchtower falsification of its history:

This is not an insignificant detail but a major prophetic and doctrinal issue. The 1922 Cedar Point convention is supposedly a "landmark convention" that was fulfilment of Daniel and Revelation prophecy. It is the end of the 1290 days from Daniel 12 and beginning of the 1335 days, as well as signifying commencement of the pouring out of the seven bowls of God's anger.

Things that make you go, "Hmmmm!"

• b00mslang
    b00mslang

Forget about Eastasia, what about the Choco Rations?

• kaik
    kaik

My mom has bunch of literature from 1970's ownard. She was severally criticized by elders that she keep hoarding publications and she should get rid of them. She asked me in May what to do with all these books and print, so I recommend to donate them to library or university for research. Some good soul did it with interwar publications printed in Czechoslovakia, and donated them to National archives. These publication became digitized and available for studies which includes Harp of God, What is truth, and Angels. I wish more JWs would bother to read their own old nonsense. My sibling considers almost all old publishing as apostate literature.

• SAHS
    SAHS

To “Oubliette”:

Whoopsy-daisy! Looks like the WTS forgot to “sanitize” their old cross-and-crown logo from the banner along the bottom of the stage front. (As we all know, that logo had originally been featured on the cover of the Watchtower magazine for years.)

Wait . . . they also forgot to “sanitize” their “I.B.S.A.” letters from that same banner. I guess their Photoshop person was asleep for that one.

Come to think of it, is there really anything from that famous 1922 Cedar Point convention, either spoken from the platform, displayed on the banners, or printed in the publications released, which has not had to be “sanitized” (i.e., deleted/updated) due to being, . . . cough . . . ahem . . . old light? (Such old light, of course, now being deemed new apostasy.)

I think that for that photograph to be currently valid in a complete sense, it would have to be replaced with just a test pattern – because there is always going to be like a special closing sale on all that old light – that’s right, folks; everything must go!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit