Fastest growing?

by davidmitchell 31 Replies latest members private

• jgnat
    jgnat

You would get a giggle at the conventions then, where everyone brings their own bag lunch and eat at their seats but don't share.

To be fair, there are Jehovah's Witnesses that do sacrifice all; a college education, a love match, children, pension, dental care...all in anticipation of the imminent end. These sad seniors are usually in pretty bad shape at retirement. The WTS sends out a token Watchtower article several times a year encouraging the congregation to honor these "older ones". Nevertheless as they become too frail for field service they are largely ignored. After all, if you are a Jehovah's Witness that doesn't preach, what exactly are you? Baggage.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, I should mention that these seniors are encouraged by the WTS to will any savings they have back to the WTS. Charming, eh?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

My own view is that any creator-God who fails to hold on to the whole of the created order is incompetent and (therefore) cannot be 'God' who must, by his very nature as 'God', be able to do anything. The 'free will' argument does not invalidate this view

Well, the Christian view is that (a) the first two humans ever chose to rebel against God, (b) Jesus said the road to salvation is narrow, and (c) the whole earth has historically been generally wicked, down to the point where sometimes there were only a handful of followers of God. So apparently God's creation is not all that inclined to like him very much. It doesn't mean he is incompetent if he exists, simply that he made some weird choices when designing us.

God saving only the adherents of the WT Society out of all the human beings on earth hardly says much for God. Plus the fact the WT fails to offer any credible argument to answer the common theodical objections raised for why an all-loving, benevolent being allows so much unnecessary and unproductive suffering in the animal kingdom and in human infancy where 'choice' does not exist.

Yes, that is the big flaw in their argument about universal sovereignty. It's difficult to see, in fact, why any of us have to suffer from disease and death because of something our first parents did wrong, even if we do have to play a role in demonstrating God's rightful sovereignty to supernatural onlookers.

Another problem I have with the WT is that this is supposed to be an evil world, the system of which doomed to destruction and yet they have children! The JW I met recently has three. To me this makes no sense if they really believe what the Society is telling them. I realise that at one time the Society discouraged having children, but that is clearly no longer the case.

Yes, I didn't understand this when I was a believing Witness. "Why would I want to bring a child into this wicked world?", I thought.

Surely if they really believed these were 'the end times', they would all be preaching full time?

Well, for most of the existence of the religion, they haven't believed that the end was definitely coming within a few years, with exceptions leading up to 1914, maybe 1925, and 1975. There has generally been more of a measured attitude of, "Well, the first-century Christians thought the end was coming in their time, so let's not assume we know it will be here in a year or anything; let's plan ahead for a life in this system in case it goes on longer than we thought." This is in fact a statement that has been made from the platform over the years. The religion hasn't always been about the kind of end-is-near hysteria that started in the '60s concerning 1975, and even at that time a number of JWs were skeptical about 1975 being the end.

I think that the Witnesses are actually following the first-century Christians' example on this front because even though Jesus did indicate that people ought to drop whatever they were doing to follow him, the early congregations were clearly already settling in for a longer haul, continuing to work and make a living, etc. So from that standpoint, hardly anyone has ever actually listened to Jesus wholeheartedly, and the JWs are no more hypocritical than the first Christians.

Apologies - earlier msg. [...] Should read

Just an FYI, you can edit your posts within 30 minutes of making them, by clicking the pencil-in-word-balloon icon.

• jonza
    jonza

Here's a little chart I made with some stats of world religions. I think it helps put things into perspective as to how small JWs really are

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Survey: One in five Americans has no religion

October 9th, 2012

"The fastest growing "religious" group in America is made up of people with no religion at all, according to a Pew survey showing that one in five Americans is not affiliated with any religion. The number of these Americans has grown by 25% just in the past five years, according to a survey released Tuesday by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Emery - "Mormons are the fastest growing Christian denomination with 15 million members world wide."

Really?

Huh.

For some reason, I thought it was Pentecostals.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Vidiot, I think you're right.

The source of confusion is probably that it is often cited that the mormons are growing faster than the WTS despite only doing a 2-year evangelical mission.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I betcha the Pentecostals are slowing down, too. Looks can be deceiving with the megachurches. These churches typically suck up membership from many other smaller churches (Wal-Mart effect) so what you are seeing is a migration of people of the same belief in to larger centers.

• pronomono
    pronomono

Lies, damn lies, and statistics......

JWs love statistics. That's why we capture a number for everything. Eventually a good statistic will come up or something can be twisted to look like a good statistic.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like statistics. Infant mortality rates, for instance, are a pretty good indicator of the health of a country. Care needs to be taken though, to count the right thing. Look at the dysfunction caused by counting hours. Performance hasn't been improved. Witnesses have become expert in dragging out the hours as unproductively as possible. How many hours does it take on average, to get one convert?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit