Fastest growing?

by davidmitchell 31 Replies latest members private

• davidmitchell
    davidmitchell

Giordano, I just had a look at the url you gave me and its got all the info I wanted. Many thanks indeed.

Thanks also for all the info you give in your message. I didn't realise the WT does such drastic 'rounding up'.

On a completely different subject, I found this on my travels. I realise its old, but I consider it interesting:

http://governingbodyletters.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Kingdom%20Hall

This says (penultimate para.) that a Witness should defend him/herself against an attacker in theKingdom Hall, so what about Matt 5:39?!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Numbers can be a little misleading. For instance, if I start a cult tomorrow and gain one member besides myself, my cult has grown 100%. BFD...??? The WTBTS loves to spout statistics because they can be made to seem significant. 1-2% of 8 million isn't great, especially when they fail to disclose how many leave on their own. The growth rate is even worse in light of the claims that Jeehoober is speeding up the work in the one true religion on earth.

DD

• Emery
    Emery

Mormons are the fastest growing Christian denomination with 15 million members world wide. As far as a religion, Islam is the fastest growing with over 2 billion people and counting.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

He said that the JWs were the 'fastest growing religion in the world'.

It's all part of the propaganda to make the R&F feel special is all. They have been lied to.

Some good links provided.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The total number of JWs is actually not problematic mathematically or doctrinally. There are enough Witnesses that the growth rates can be validly compared to larger religions. And keep in mind that Witnesses believe that only a few will be saved, so they would expect to be a minority in the world. At the same time, they believe that the 'nations will be streaming in to the mountain of Jehovah' (Isa. 2:2) in the last days and that 'ten men will take hold of the skirt of a Jew' (Zech. 8:22). So it is very important to them to see continuous growth.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I was told that about 25 years ago when I was studying. So it kind of doesn't really matter that much if the studies are from 2010 or 2007, jw's have been using this line for a very long time to help them get converts. and studies are not published every year with theses ststs, so you have to go with the most recent ones that are available.

I doubt the dubs even look at ( or acknowledge) any studies that show them as NOT the leader in growth or anything else!

• Splash
    Splash

My theory is that the younger generation are internet aware, lack fear of man, value education and are leaving.

Now, as the older ones die off over the coming years, their children who are middle aged or more will have nothing to lose in leaving themselves. Their parents are dead, their children are already out.

JW's have peaked as far as 'true believers' go. Thanks to the internet, 1914 being of no consequence anymore, and the latest contrived teachings that noone understands anyway, it's a slow descent downhill from here.

Splash

• jgnat
    jgnat

Growth has not been increasing since 2010. I am sorry, that was the most recent data I could find on short notice. The WTS has gone through growth spurts, but also had large disaffections after a failed prophecy.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/statistics.php

• davidmitchell
    davidmitchell

My own view is that any creator-God who fails to hold on to the whole of the created order is incompetent and (therefore) cannot be 'God' who must, by his very nature as 'God', be able to do anything. The 'free will' argument does not invalidate this view, and that is most certainly so as more evidence arises to support the deterministic viewpoint that everything we do is guided by our genes, upbringing and environment (and yes, I am a hard determinist).

God saving only the adherents of the WT Society out of all the human beings on earth hardly says much for God. Plus the fact the WT fails to offer any credible argument to answer the common theodical objections raised for why an all-loving, benevolent being allows so much unnecessary and unproductive suffering in the animal kingdom and in human infancy where 'choice' does not exist.

Another problem I have with the WT is that this is supposed to be an evil world, the system of which doomed to destruction and yet they have children! The JW I met recently has three. To me this makes no sense if they really believe what the Society is telling them. I realise that at one time the Society discouraged having children, but that is clearly no longer the case.

Furthermore there is the fact that Jesus is supposed to have taught his followers to desert their families and leave everything behind (eg., Luke 14:26,33) and the first Christians 'had all things in common' (Acts 2:44-45, 4:32). Why don't JWs do this? From what I see, many own their own houses, have cars and no doubt have insurance policies - how do they square this with say, Matt 6:25,31,32, Heb 10:34? Surely if they really believed these were 'the end times', they would all be preaching full time and barely distinguishable from non-believers in respect of finances and security?

David

• davidmitchell
    davidmitchell

Apologies - earlier msg.

'Surely if they really believed these were 'the end times', they would all be preaching full time and barely distinguishable from non-believers in respect of finances and security?'

Should read

'Surely if they really believed these were 'the end times', they would all be preaching full time rather than being barely distinguishable from non-believers in respect of finances and security?#

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit