Does consciousness end with the death of the body

by givemejustalittlemoretime 129 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Does consciousness end with the death of the body

Dunno. Probably.

We'll either know when we die or not................................as the case may be.

• jgnat
    jgnat

designs, yes, being "temporary residents" (Phillipians 3:20 and others) and all. The only earthly commands really, are to "go forth and multiply" which the Duggars take quite literally, and to be good stewards.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Faith= beleif not based proof or without proof.

It takes faith to beleive in life/consciousness after death.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Does consciousness end with the death of the body?

Can I just point out something obvious, how can we possibly know one way or the other?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Can I just point out something obvious, how can we possibly know one way or the other?

Only if suspend critical thinking, and revert to huge leaps in logic, then you can "know".

• Viviane
    Viviane

There are a lot of things we can't know with 100% certainty. However, there are degress of probablity and observational evidence we can use to decide.

For instance, and apologies to the people I borrowed this from (Sagan, Bertrand Russell, etc.), it's possible:

- There is a blue china teapot orbiting between Earth and Mars

- There is an invisible, non-corporeal dragon dragon floating that breaths heatless fire that lives in my neighbor's garage

- We are all living in a giant computer simulation

There is no proof of any of those things, however. Should they have equal footing with the idea of dark matter and energy? Let's look!

Matter is the only thing we know of that causes gravitational effects. It's the only thing we know of that causes lensing in space. Using both Newtonian and relavistic math, we have a pretty good idea of what the graviational effects of a given amount of mass are. If we didn't, we couldn't launch space ship, probes, rovers, lunar landers, etc.

When we look at what we can see in space, things appear to be moving way too fast for the amount of matter we see to produce the gravitational effects we see. Hence, given that there is no evidence that how we measure mass and gravitational effects, the assumption and working hypothesis is that there is some type of matter we aren't seeing. We know there is matter that very weakly interacts with atoms, so it's not a huge leap to the idea of dark matter. It's a hypothesis, not a fact. Scientists are investigating it. That idea may well turn out to be wrong, but given everything we know, it seems like the most likely explanation.

How does that relate to life after death? Simple. If we figure out what's real based on independantly verifiable evidence and observation, the so far we have nothing like that for life after death, for spirits, for Bigfoot, for God, Jesus, Allah, Zeus, Thor, etc. There simply is no independant or verifiable evidence for those specific claims.

Once you suspend evidence, critical thinking and verifiable observation as evidence for things, all ideas suddenly gain equal footing. The teapot is just as likely as Zeus and gobling and fairies and Jesus.

• Legacy
    Legacy

HI,

Who knows....When Jesus resurrected Lazarus, did Lazarus testify on what it felt like to be dead. No...It is said, one must be tested to testify. I think a conversation with Lazarus might have been most enlightening...don't you ? But not a word. How many healings & miracles did Jesus perform & not a peep from the folks he healed...God & Jesus know how curious we are, couldn't they have just given us a little peep of the afterlife, just a little tid bit.

All stories of death, folks always say, they saw a light...ummm.

Legacy

• frankiespeakin
  • designs
    designs

Yes or No, 6 min. video eeesh

• frankiespeakin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit