Does consciousness end with the death of the body

by givemejustalittlemoretime 129 Replies latest watchtower bible

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

Apparently, the Carvakas in anceint Hinduism were materialists and skeptics, arguing that consciousness ends with the death of the body and that therefore we should take pleasure in this life while we possess it and practice compassion toward others. They also argued that direct observation is the only certain way to know anything, and thus the existence of supernatural forces and realities cannot be established and must be rejected

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

And what is your fine opinion?

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

GMJALMT: The question is ageless and whoever discovers the answer to that, will have conquered death. My thoughts run along these lines. As we grow older we begin to understand more, forgive more, become more compasssionate, more willing to seek peace at all costs, live more harmoniously with all creatures including other humans. We have more regrets about the rashness of our youthful exuberence with respect to certain things done. We see our past reflections in the mirrors of our minds and wonder why we didn't possess the wisdom we do now, in our youth. And just when we begin to live in complete oneness with the earth, we have this evolved renniasiance of our existence snuffed out . To what end?

• Mikado
    Mikado

I think there's nothing out there, which is a comfort I think, and a prompt to make sure we live well now.

but many years ago after euthanising a much loved family pet,driving home with their dead body on my knee, I told them that as they were the only one in the car who knew if there was anything out there they could send me another pet in a little while, I specified two breeds, the gender and that they had to be nice. the next day there was a phone call from the vets, they had a new family member for me, both the breeds I mentioned, the right gender and very nice....go figure...a pretty good coincidence I think.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Hairtrigger is right. I'm Catholic now and I definitely believe in life after death but it is strange at first for an ex-jw to embrace that concept. My grandpa "visited" my JW mother six months after he died, and she's an uber-JW but acknowledged it happened. Some things in this world can't be explained any other way than that there is a consciousness that survives death of the body. JMHO.

StAnn

Iam concious that there is no death ,rather an ending of one thing to begin another

Can we have a defining answer from Atheists please. WHo very well define their own understanding on every other subject i raised

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Mine ends when I sleep each night.

• cofty
    cofty

Consciousness is a process that is entirely dependent on the functioning of our brain.

If consciousness is non-pyhsical does it end at death

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit