I FINALLY found a car I like & brought it home tonight = )

by FlyingHighNow 52 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Scott, I put a lot of thought and research into it. I've been looking for nearly 7 months. I have been severely limited in the ability to go to look at cars. I've had to rely on friends to take me. A lot of cars were sold before I could look at them, because I couldn't get to them in time. This car is in what my former husband calls powder puff condition. The $9,000 included the sales tax, doc fees, title fee, tag transfer, etc. So I got it at below book value. It has no rust and new tires and breaks. It's in good shape inside and out, including the engine. It doesn't have a timing belt to change, which can be expensive. The fuel costs will save money over bigger cars, with lower price tags. The repair costs will be reasonable. If I take good care of it, hopefully it will last until I'm 70 or 75. Rust is a huge issue in Michigan. A lot of less expensive used cars have rust already.

Thank you, Sammieswife.

Scott, one more thing, I found some other G6s that I liked, but had no way to go look at them. Another thing is, some have a recall on the power steering. I found a lower mileage 2006 with the sport package, for a little less, but the dealer cannot sell it until the recall can be completed. Right now there is no remedy for the recall. I didn't have the luxury of putting off buying a car any longer. My car I purchased a couple of miles away. My mechanic goes over all of the cars at that dealer. He has confidence in the car.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

So, since I had no car to go searching for a car. I had no man to take me to look at cars in Detroit, which is across the state from me.

I found a car my mechanic said is sound and a good purchase. The suggested retail price for it is $8,380. I got it for $8369. There was a taxable doc fee for $99 and the sales tax was $531.13. For a car with a nearly perfect interior and body. Engine in good condition. New tires and breaks, no timing belt to change, that gets decent mileage, is comfortable, looks and runs great. I only had to travel 2 or 3 miles for the purchase. It's paid for. I like the way it looks. I'll be proud to drive it.

Scott, I would have been happy for you to have come to help drive me around looking for cars. You could have negotiated for me.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

FHN, you are happy and have reasons to back up your happiness. That's the important part. That, and hopefully the car will last another 70,000 miles or more. Of course others will disagree with your purchase because of their own various factors that come into play.

Personally, I was turned off to Chrysler products from my experiences in the 1980's, but finally took another look at that problem when I wanted a convertible Jeep Wrangler. My purchase is very impractical as far as cars go, but a bunch of people will agree [and disagree] with my reasons to buy it. Mainly, it is my mid-life car- I didn't want a motorcycle but wanted something that was just fun. I have a hard top and a soft top. I purchased the Jeep in February and put the soft top on in April and have had the top down virtually every chance I get. Gas mileage is not good but I drive low miles so it's just a few hundred dollars extra per year. I bought used with low miles and foresee little need for maintenance and tires for quite awhile. Reliability is a much bigger factor for me, so I might have passed on your 100k car, but low mileage cars break down too so who's to say which one is right? Even mechanics who see nothing wrong with a car won't know how the electronics will hold up. I saw a used sports car that would have been great for my wife until I saw that it was a former rental- people unfamiliar with the gadgets "play" with them and don't respect them. So even with a careful inspection, I would be leary of how often they put the top up and down and harshly turned knobs. I have had more comfortable cars, better fuel conscious cars, but never enjoyed any car as much as this one. That's all that matters.

• Scott77
    Scott77
    OnTheWayOut: "...FHN, you are happy and have reasons to back up your happiness. That's the important part. That, and hopefully the car will last another 70,000 miles or more..."
    FlyingHighNow:" Scott, I would have been happy for you to have come to help drive me around looking for cars. You could have negotiated for me. ... So, since I had no car to go searching for a car. I had no man to take me to look at cars in Detroit, which is across the state from me...."

That's a good observation and I concur with OTWO. Right, I would have been more than glad to be of help, take you around to see various autos before you settle down to a great choice. But Iam in a different state. For now, everything looks great on your side, and personal satisfaction is the key. Please, keep us updated how the car works for you during winter seassion.

Best wishes

Scott77

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This car will last fore more than 70,000 miles. I hear from some that if it's taken care of, it can last well over 200,000 miles. It took me 10 years to drive my last car 70,000 miles. I took some very long road trips in it and it still tooke me that long to drive 70,000.

There are a lot of reasons I finally chose the G6. MPG. I work with the New York Yankee pitcher Matt Thornton's mom. She told me today that her husband drives a G6 and loves it.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Very good news!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I used the USAA buying service, we also got our loan from them. If you have a family member that has ever been in the military you are qualified to join. They are a great bank, they don't try to pile on excessive fees. They even credit you back for any other banks ATM fees, so you can get cash anywhere. They approved my car loan in ten minutes online, then gave me a certificate to take to the dealer.

Once I found the car I wanted I looked at what they had available used, they use multiple dealers, so it's easy to compare prices. I test drove my Soul at a dealer not on the program, he was telling me the car was a great price at 15k, he was pressuring me to buy it that day. I found the same car, similar mileage for 13k on USAA. When I told the first guy what I found, he quickly dropped the price to 12,500, but only if I bought that morning. Right, like they wouldn't sell to me three days later. I ended up going with the other dealer as I liked the color better and I didn't like the high pressure salesman, he was calling me and emailing me daily, his boss also, and so many lies, who knows what would have happened.

It was a very easy car buying experience, next time I would go directly through them and not bother with other dealers.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Look nice FHN, congratulations! But enquiring guys want to know: how many horses are under the hood?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Congratulations on your new car. May you enjoy driving around. We could rarely afford a car growing up. I used to watch the poodles go by in their fancy cars while my family walked. I am hoping to go car free by choice. Cities have all sorts of programs that did not exist in the past.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Public transportation. There is a whole topic by itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit