I FINALLY found a car I like & brought it home tonight = )

by FlyingHighNow 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Congratulations on your new car! I was without a car for about nine months, too. Now that I have a car again, I can get around. I like going out to the lake to eat my lunch, for instance, which I couldn't do without a car. I know how you felt without a car! Your new car will probably last a long time, too, so you won't have to buy another car any time soon.

I have a system, so different from what I used to do. I used to buy new or nearly new cars every other year. Since I moved up here to the mountains and I'm living on my retirement income, I have a different system. I bought a Nissan Pathfinder at a yard sale for $600.00 and spent about $1000 on repairs, tune-up, smog and registration. It lasted me about three years. I figure that worked out much less expensively than a newer car with a car payment.

I just bought a 2001 Mercury Sable. It gets good mileage (for a Ford product) and is very comfortable and easy to drive. I spent $1000.00 on the car and about $800 or so on a tune-up, tires, registration, insurance. Not bad, and if I get three years out of it, I'll be very happy.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I finally bought my car . My Colorado SUV did not work for me in California, so I had been hating on it for a while. It still had many miles left on it, but it had quite a bit of body damage, and I was getting embarrassed to drive it. I got a Kia Soul, it's smaller and easier to park in my small garage and the tight parking lots here, but big enough to haul the small pieces of furniture I buy to fix up for my business. Plus I just think it's cute, mine is a Kale green. I am driving the 4Runner up to my son and daughter-in-law in Washington state, they are thrilled to get it, and I had been going up there anyway.

So we were signing for the car and for some reason the topic turned to religion. Not a common topic when buying a car, but the sales manager asked if we were religious. I said, no because I was in a cult and had enough of it. He said " Jehovah's Witness?" I said, " yeah, how did you know"? He said he dated one for a while. It made me happy because most people think it's just a slightly odd religion. I think the more people know how destructive it is and what they really teach, the better for an what are thinking of joining and for those trying to get out. It's not just another religion.

I also found out that I am going to be a grandmother again. My stepson and his wife are having a baby in seven months, this will be their first. Too bad they are on the East coast, but still wonderful news.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hortensia, yes, we sure can relate to each other. It's so much better with a car. It offers a big amount of freedom.

Your new car is dandy. How many miles? Be sure to replace the timing belt at the recomended mileage.

I had a timing belt break twice on my last car, my eagle talon. The first time I had the engine rebuilt. The last time, I sold it to the mechanic for $200.

This time I specifically looked for cars with timing chains. My G6 has a timing chain. Yay.

The car had 103,000 miles on it. Roughly. They were asking for $8995. The car is in nearly perfect condition bodywise and the enterior is almost like new. The car has four almost brand new radials that I checked the price. They are $130 tires, radials/all weather. The breaks are almost new and wonderful. It's a base model but loaded with options. But it only had one key, a chipped key and no fob. The CD player pauses and there is one recall. So, I offered $8,500. They said, "No, because with taxes and fees, the car will be almost $9400. I said, "If you can walk me out the door for $9,000 even, I've got cash. I'll buy the car right now. I even have a tag." They said, "$9,100. I said, "No, because if I have to replace the CD player, have a fob and chip key made and go through the inconvenience of having the recall completed, that's expense and inconvenience. $9,000 firm." The two sales men went for a conference. They came and asked if I'd split that hundred and meet them at $9,050. I said well, there's no handbook for the car either. No, $9,000 firm."

I got the car with all taxes and fees for $9,000. I have no payment. One problem is full coverage insurance in Michigan is EXPENSIVE. The most expensive in the USA because if an injured person(s) needs medical care after the 2 year mark, they get it for the rest of their lives.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Lisa, I'm glad you love your Kia.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm going to post more pictures later today. I have to take some more.

Did I mention they gave me a $1000 or one month warranty? If major things go wrong, this little local used car lot will pay half the repair and parts.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Gma, has your husband decided if the broken timing belt destroyed your engine? You might be needing a rebuild or a new to you engine. I hope you engine is not fried. Mine broke on the freeway the last time and on the exit ramp off the freeway the first time. My son in law rebuilt the top of the engine for me. I will try never to own a car with a belt again. It can be very expensive to change them.

DJS, what will you buy?

Sweet....Can I borrow the keys sometimes?

What are you willing to bargain?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

FHN, good going. Glad you found something and are happy about it.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

The timing belt didn't do engine damage, husband had it running ( ran good) but timing belt became lose so he has to tear engine down again. He has a dislike for new cars he would be happy if I would drive a 50 year old car but I said no.

• Scott77
    Scott77
    "...The car had 103,000 miles on it... I got the car with all taxes and fees for $9,000. I have no payment... "
    FlyingHighNow

Hi FHN,

Do you feel that 103,000 mileage is worth the cost of $9000? I think, you would have gone for a car with 42k milleage. Regardless, I will respect that decision you made. One of the the key factor in auto purchase decision is the mileage. The lower, the better. Please, did you give thought to this issue? I hope so.

If you have access to the internet, please go to this site at http://www.cargurus.com and compare similar cars in nearby zip code of 48201 for Detroit, Michigan.

Alot of similar models with low mileage. I have done and this is what I got at

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?cgLocale=&sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d467&zip=48201

Scott77

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

"The fact that you think getting less than 30mpg is 'great' is scary and a huge problem with the USA"

---

Sigh....now, couldn't you have just been happy for someone who just managed to finally get a car after doing without for almost a year? Really??

The gas mileage for that car ain't all that horrendous and I say kudo's for saving up the cash to buy it, finding what works for you and congratulations!

The car looks great! Enjoy!

Sammieswife

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit