Commenting At The Meetings---Did You Enjoy It?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• apostrate
    apostrate

howdy,

As all of us here now know, the "meat in due season" being served has always been BALONEY!

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

I liked commenting, but it was because I never just read from the paragraph; I was always the 2nd/3rd person to comment on something to give added perspective or move the study forward when everyone else got stuff wrong or didn't get to the point.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I enjoyed commenting and judging from the compliments I received many in the congregation liked my comments as well. I went much deeper than the study material and brought in additional points from history, science, geography and mathematics (when applicable). It wasn't long in one congregation when I ran into trouble with the PO who accused me of attempting to "take over the congregation." I shut his mouth by reminding him of the WTS teaching that Christ was the one who appointed men to their offices. If Christ is in charge here, I asked him, how would he allow a lowly publisher like me to take over? The look on his face was priceless.

Quendi

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I've seen so many brothers (mostly) get shutdown for making honest, direct experience comments. In other words, they just didn't parrot what was read in the paragraph.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I remembered being embarassed when my younger brother would comment. I recall during the evolution study book him commenting on some strange theory of how God used the dinosaurs to form the earth and then how paleontologist evented new species. Then thinking back my seven year old brother made more sense than most GB new light.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Ok, sorta off topic, but I just thought of this and had to share it.

There's a kid in my hall who's new (not sure where he came from...doesn't seem to be a study and his parents are never there. He's probably 18-20) who made an unintentionally hillarious comment the other day. Not sure what the specifics of the topic was, but it was something about false religion and quickly turned into all the converts one-upping each other on how stupid their previous religion was. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. So this kid thinks it's time for him to chime in. He gives a comment that went something like this:

You guys will probably think I'm making this up, but I promise this is real. It's really a thing, you can look it up on wikipedia. I promise it's real. (He went on like this for probably 30 seconds before jumping right in) There's a religion out there, who, and i promise this is real, says that god is a flying spaghetti monster. That's what they worship as god, and they think this spaghetti monster is what created the universe.

That's one I never thought I'd see. I guess Poe's law really is true - no matter how rediculous a parody of religion/fundamentalism is, someone will take it seriously.

• dugout
    dugout

hated it always will but when I did comment I just love it when they would come up to me and say oh I just loved your comment. I would just look up at them and wonder ...... that was not my comment it was the societys comment Idiot. we are just repeating them dont they know this?

• jam
    jam

JWdaughter"if the answers required independent thought",

you must remember we are talking about the borg.

You would hear birds chirping if they ask for independent

thoughts.. Just one time I would love to see them use the

Bible only in the WT study..LOL

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I hated trying to comment. The last few years i would raise my hand once in a while to read a scripture. The last time, the conductor said, Sister we should save the scriptures for the young ones to read.

Okay I'm done! The last meetings i attended i never opened my mouth.

Marina

• Imminent1975
    Imminent1975

I can't say I enjoyed it, I felt obligated since childhood indoctrination to comment to support the study. In the last two years that I went 2008-10, I found it extremely difficult to get called on during any study. I wasn't a loose cannon with my comments, but being in this cult since birth, I could comment without re-reading the paragraph.

I don't think the elders liked that at all. Perhaps, not sure if they were instructed to not call on individuals that didn't just regurgitate the written word. But anyway, I tested it out for months. I would raise my hand and not get called on, over and over again. This was the case even if the conductor was squirming because of lack of support. After I realized that I had been moth balled, I just stopped, and eventually stopped attending all together in 2010.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit