Are they really that stupid

by moley 30 Replies latest jw friends

• moley
    moley

I was recently approached by a couple of borg drones while I was walking my dog, and i thought why not, may plant a seed or two (how wrong was I). there was no real logic to what they were saying but as i was in the local park the conversation started to veer to how wonderful nature was and how this was the work of a wonderful creator. I did not let on I was a former Witness and let them continue with their fairy tale of creation and how the vast multitude of animals shows a loving god at work blah blah blah...... but i digress, the converastion then turned to how evolution was false.

Apparently to earth is only a few thousand years old, so i mentioned about the Burgess Shale, to be met with blank stares. I explained that this was a rock formation over 500 million years old and how this formation contained hundreds of thousands of fossils fom the Cambrian Period thus preserving the early signs of life on earth. I know they wouldnt know any of this but I was on a role, so I continued with my brief history of the formation of the earth only to be stopped in my tracks...... older sisters says OH, NONE OF THAT STUFF IS REAL. ITS BEEN PLACED THERE BY SATAN AND HIS DEMONS TO DECEIVE MANKIND INTO NOT BELEIVING IN CREATION. Now it was me who returned the blank stare, I was dumbfounded. I just replied WTF and walked off.

Dont get me wrong im not dissing them for not knowing what i was talking about, as it is very complex and many non jw friends have no idea, but their reply was well....................................................

• neverendingjourney
  • cantleave
    cantleave

JW's don't teach that Earth is only a few thousand years old - obviously you met a couple who haven't been keeping up with Jah's chariot.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Why yes, yes they are!

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Their reply was very Republican. Science? What's that?

• NotNew
    NotNew

Well...yes!

I would of been one of them...but not any more. Once decieved...until something wakes u up.

Take pity on the ones that are under mind control!

SW

• Comatose
    Comatose

The demunz are tricky! Even before humans were made, they were plotting the inevitable trickery of fossils.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

JW's don't teach that Earth is only a few thousand years old - obviously you met a couple who haven't been keeping up with Jah's chariot.

Not sure if there's been any "new light" on the matter, but as far back as ten years ago they taught the Earth was "thousands" of years old. In the years leading up to 1975, they taught that each creation day was 7,000 years old, so the Earth was less than 50,000 years old. After the resulting fiasco, the 7,000 year creative day idea stopped being taught in lieu of a generic "thousands of years" response.

Absent there having been some new teaching in the past few years (I haven't been keeping up), there was never really any support for the idea of an Earth that is millions of years old. The picked "thousands" very carefully. They never officially dropped the 7,000 year day. By saying "thousands" it was ambiguous whether they old teaching had been officially rejected.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Oooooohhh....that Satan sure is a rotten one, isn't he?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Not sure if there's been any "new light" on the matter, but as far back as ten years ago they taught the Earth was "thousands" of years old. In the years leading up to 1975, they taught that each creation day was 7,000 years old, so the Earth was less than 50,000 years old. After the resulting fiasco, the 7,000 year creative day idea stopped being taught in lieu of a generic "thousands of years" response. - neverendingjourney

Here you go..........

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200001239

Creation. The planet’s coming into existence is recounted in the Bible with the simple statement: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” ( Ge 1:1 ) Just how long ago the starry heavens and the earth were created is not stated in the Bible. Therefore, there is no basis for Bible scholars to take issue with scientific calculations of the age of the planet. Scientists estimate the age of some rocks as being three and a half billion years, and the earth itself as being about four to four and a half billion or more years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit